"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 03-12-2016, 03:04 AM   #11
Master Chef

jd, in my mind, "with everything" should be just basics. Or as the joint up the corner lists, "LTO". Anything beyond that holy trinity for burgers is questionable. Then again, if the restaurant menu warned you that "everything" included just about every condiment they owned, you should have read the fine print.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
...I like to use "stadium (or ballpark) mustard" on hot dogs. Sort of spicy....

This stuff's a staple around here at all the pro sports arenas. Betcha can only get yellow mustard at most concession stands.
Pass that Bertman's, please. My Mom always had a bottle of Stadium mustard in the fridge. When I got married we eventually ended up buying Ball Park more often. Now I bring bottles of it back to MA with me when we go visit our kids in OH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
...I like them with just a very light spread of mayo and that's the only condiment I want. A juicy char-broiled patty, lettuce, tomato and onion on a toasted bun, and I'm good with that...
Hold the onion, and you have one of MY oft-ordered burgers. We have burgers all different ways at home. Rarely with cheese (the flavor seems to get lost with everything else, so we skip it if we figure we won't taste it), but I always put out a turntable of relishes so we can top our own. Dill pickle slices, pepper slices, L/T/O, grilled mushrooms, ketchup, four kinds of mustard, BBQ sauce...you name it, it goes out! I'm my own version of Michael Symon's "B-Spot", where they have a pickle bar with 8 choices, and a tote on each table with 6 different sauces. Sounds like Yum! Himself and I NEED to get over to one next time we visit kids.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:06 AM   #12
Executive Chef

I have come to the conclusion that I make better burgers at home. When we go out, we are usually going to places that don't even offer burgers.

Old 03-12-2016, 03:42 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
jd, in my mind, "with everything" should be just basics. Or as the joint up the corner lists, "LTO". Anything beyond that holy trinity for burgers is questionable. Then again, if the restaurant menu warned you that "everything" included just about every condiment they owned, you should have read the fine print.

Hold the onion, and you have one of MY oft-ordered burgers. We have burgers all different ways at home. Rarely with cheese (the flavor seems to get lost with everything else, so we skip it if we figure we won't taste it), but I always put out a turntable of relishes so we can top our own. Dill pickle slices, pepper slices, L/T/O, grilled mushrooms, ketchup, four kinds of mustard, BBQ sauce...you name it, it goes out! I'm my own version of Michael Symon's "B-Spot", where they have a pickle bar with 8 choices, and a tote on each table with 6 different sauces. Sounds like Yum! Himself and I NEED to get over to one next time we visit kids.
You won't lose the cheese if you stuff it in the middle of the meat patty. Of course that takes a double thick patty to do it right, but is that really a bad thing?
Old 03-12-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
You won't lose the cheese if you stuff it in the middle of the meat patty. Of course that takes a double thick patty to do it right, but is that really a bad thing?
Mmmm, sounds yummy. A chef I know puts grated cheddar cheese, salt, and pepper in his ground beef then shapes it into a burger and fries it. Some of the cheese is on the outside and gets a little charred.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:51 PM   #15
Senior Cook

I like dill relish on hotdogs and that's about it.

For me a burger must have onions, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and dill pickle.
Growing up in NE Iowa it was called a "Hollywood Hamburger" at Little Butch's in New Hampton. Now days I like blue cheese, bacon, and sometimes a fried egg.

Fried onions are popular in the Tacoma area.

Tacoma Boy's pre-makes huge patties with the shredded cheese mixed in and a lamb burger with fetta. It's all good.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Nothing wrong with a Jucy Lucy, RP, but I don't LOSE the cheese. I lose the flavor of the cheese. Sometimes what I want on my burger is so very flavorful I can't tell it's got 100+ calories of cheese, too. I'd rather save the calories for a small piece of dessert afterwards. Now offer me a burger with Swiss and mushrooms and I am SO there!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #17
Master Chef

CG, I love mushroom and swiss burgers! I'll have to put that on the menu soon, haven't had one in way too long. A homemade potato salad will need to accompany that.

Thinking about this thread a little, I rarely order a burger out and like Craig mentioned, much prefer making my own at home. I love a good 'standard' burger with lettuce, tomato and onions, and also enjoy a specialty burger now and then.

One of my faves is an 'Ortega Burger' - here's one I made last year. A grilled ground beef patty with lettuce and tomato, whole Ortega roasted green chiles and sliced pepper jack cheese on a toasted onion bun.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ortega Burger.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	24424  
Old 03-12-2016, 08:02 PM   #18
Executive Chef

I like to spread mayo on the bottom bun so the burger juices don't soak into the bun. I vacillate between raw or fried onion. Smoked gouda is cheese of choice, if we have any, otherwise, any cheese. Mostly I don't put cheese on a burger. Lettuce, garden tomato, a little catsup. Avocados, as much as I like them, seem to just slide off the top so No to them. Bacon is a rare treat. This is the shortest paragraph I could write about burgers without licking my fingers.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I like to spread mayo on the bottom bun so the burger juices don't soak into the bun. I vacillate between raw or fried onion. Smoked gouda is cheese of choice, if we have any, otherwise, any cheese. Mostly I don't put cheese on a burger. Lettuce, garden tomato, a little catsup. Avocados, as much as I like them, seem to just slide off the top so No to them. Bacon is a rare treat. This is the shortest paragraph I could write about burgers without licking my fingers.
Same here, Whisk! I go a step further and put the beef patty in between layers of lettuce for further insurance against soggy buns.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:18 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskadoodle View Post
I admire your restraint!