The ultimate grilled cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whatever type of bread i have, and pretty much same with cheese. no cheese products though. i love provolone, pepper jack and just plain old cheddar. butter one side put down in med hot pan, put butter on the top brown till cheese is nice and gooey

when i was a kid we would paint with evap. milk and put under the broiler til slightly brown, paint again and brown, turn and do same with other side. it puffs up and is just wonderful.

Two thick slices of potato bread buttered on one side of each, One thick slice of Gruyere. Toasted to a golden brown in a C/I skillet without smashing it thin.
If I don't have Gruyere I also like a thick slice of Colby/Jack.

For a really unique grilled cheese, I do mine "spanakopita style." I use nice fluffy white bread (buttered, of course) and provolone cheese. I put in a bit of sauteed spinach and onion that has been mixed with feta cheese and that goes in the very middle. Then I grill it until the cheese melts into and around the spinach/feta mixture.

It is very delicious. :)

~GB

white bread, slice of kraft american cheese with either slice of ham or a couple pieces of cooked bacon then another slice of cheese.

normally --white bread 2 slices of american cheese then when done love love to eat with grape jelly on it and a big glass of chocolate milk

For me it is Kraft American cheese, the kind that is NOT individually wrapped, with plain white bread. In the summer I open it up and throw in a few slices of home-grown tomatoes. Oh, I do the others, Swiss on rye, etc, but a plain old American cheese (and I'm fussy, it has to be the Kraft that is not individually wrapped, that stuff ... well, I don't know, doesn't seem to be the same). To make it the all-American lunch, you need a cup of Campbell's cream of tomato soup. No, none of the companies employ me to tout their products, just childhood favorites!

For me it is Kraft American cheese, the kind that is NOT individually wrapped, with plain white bread.

Yes, I agree, "Real Cheese" NOT "Cheese Food" or "Cheese Product"

And as an alternative for the kids, I used to fix Grilled Peanut Butter Sandwiches - Crunchy, of course!

Sourdough bread, sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella cheese, butter. Then use a panini grill.

French or Italian bread, Havarti cheese, couple of slices of ripe tomato, seasoning, real butter, yum.

Another real cheese lover here!

We make what we call "Crunchy Grilled Cheese" around here. In the summer in particular, we have this sandwich often. We start with soft and chewy whole wheat based whole grain bread, sliced about as thin as your typical slice of white bread. For people in the great lakes region, we use Meijer organic flaxseed bread. A little nutty tasting, a little chewy, toasts up beautifully.
One side of each slice of bread is buttered. Between the bread goes the cheese: half sharp cheddar, half creamy dreamy quality mozzarella.
Once the grilled cheese comes out of the pan, we open it up and stuff it full of veggies! Crisp romaine lettuce, sliced ripe tomatoes, baby spinach if we have it, and carrot ribbons, which are made by first peeling a carrot and discarding the peels, and then continuing to go at it with a carrot peeler, making thin ribbons of carrot. Throw some fruit on the plate, and you've got yourself a complete meal. It's quick, it's delicious; it's a combination of gooey and crunchy, warm and cool.

Variations are possible and encouraged. Sometimes we switch up the bread. Sometimes we switch up the cheeses - as long as you have one creamy melty cheese and one pungent cheese, you're set. Occasionally we'll buy this gorgeous pepper jack cheese and use that for our creamy cheese - oh man. YUM. Sometimes we switch up the veggies. We've used other greens, sprouts, cucumber (surprisingly not my favorite, and I really like cukes), thinly sliced apple in place of the tomato. You should try it!

That does sound good, apple!

Me, I'm a bit of a simpleton on this subject. Good 12-grain bread (yes, the stuff that looks like it was made out of leaves and twigs! :LOL:) plus a good, aggressive cheddar (Vermont/NY Extra sharp, Cabot Hunter's cheddar, or if you really want decadent, Canadian 3-year white), some nice thick-cut slab bacon (2-3 slices is plenty), and a fat slice off a beefsteak tomato.

Occasionally I'll slip some brown mustard in there to give it some extra bite.

MetalChef, have you ever tried Tillamook cheddar? Their sharp and extra sharp are probably the best I've ever had.

MetalChef, have you ever tried Tillamook cheddar? Their sharp and extra sharp are probably the best I've ever had.

I don't think I've ever seen that brand anywhere here locally. Most of the groceries only stock crappy yellow cheddar, some have started carrying the Cabot variety I mentioned, and we have an Amish market here in town where I occasionally pick up that Canadian cheddar - it's EXPENSIVE ($11/lb) but worth every penny.

They're in Oregon, but in the past few years their cheese has been popping up in grocery stores as far east as Michigan, at least. We discovered them on a road trip, and their cheese is absolutely delicious. If you ever see it, buy it!

They're in Oregon, but in the past few years their cheese has been popping up in grocery stores as far east as Michigan, at least. We discovered them on a road trip, and their cheese is absolutely delicious. If you ever see it, buy it!

Unfortunately, I expect it'll be a few years before they make market penetration here on the East Coast, especially with how entrenched brands like Cabot are already here.

I like any kind of grilled cheese sandwich, but my favorite is whole wheat bread with Velveeta Cheese. Sometimes I add a slice of cheddar too, but I love the way that Velveeta melts!

regular 'ol bread with land o' lakes wht. American & loads of butter in the pan, not on the bread!

sour dough sliced med,velveeta at least 3 slices, crisp fried bacon and a slice of tomato..heaven
kades

12 Grain Bread with American, Swiss, Provolone, Mozzarella, AND Muenster Cheese cooked on a Foreman.

Back
Top Bottom