"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 10-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #101
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Is this a cold or hot dish?
Cold. You mix your tuna like for a sandwich, scoop out the tomato, add the pulp to your tuna mix, minus the juice and fill your tomato with it. Serve on a piece of lettuce.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:12 PM   #102
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Cold. You mix your tuna like for a sandwich, scoop out the tomato, add the pulp to your tuna mix, minus the juice and fill your tomato with it. Serve on a piece of lettuce.
It makes a pretty presentation to cut the tomato like a flower. Classic '60s luncheon dish.

Old 10-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #103
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Do you mean Miracle Whip?

I have a couple foil packets of salmon.
Can I treat this like tuna and make salmon salad for sandwiches.
And for those who do this, does it work well this way?
I have no idea as to what they are for, other than salmon patties.
TIA.
Sure you can. When I make salmon fillets, I often serve them with a remoulade sauce and then flake the leftovers and mix them with leftover sauce to make salmon salad. It's basically the same thing you're suggesting.
Old 10-10-2014, 07:22 PM   #104
Master Chef

Sure RB you can do it with any cooked fish really. I remember catching so many trout while camping along the Frasier River in BC that we couldn't eat all of them fried, so I made lots of "trout salad sandwiches".

Pretty picture GG.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #105
Everymom

OMG, salmon sandwiches...MMMMMM!!! No pickles in there! Celery only in our world.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:52 PM   #106
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
It makes a pretty presentation to cut the tomato like a flower. Classic '60s luncheon dish.

A tomato stuffed with tuna or cottage cheese was the height of gourmet for me when I was a kid.
Old 10-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #107
Executive Chef

Water packed Light chunk tuna, minced celery, minced sweet or Bermuda onion, minced dill pickle mayo or miracle whip (depending in my mood) on your favorite bread with lettuce and for me with potato chips (preferably sour cream and onion flavor) in the sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
Old 10-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #108
Head Chef

Chunk White Albacore, Sweet relish, mayo,& pepper. With lettuce (If it's in the fridge)on white bread toasted or not depending on my mood.
That's my basic & quick Tuna sammie.

Sometimes diced onions and or celery find there way in and if I'm feeling really adventurous I'll pop it in the toaster oven with some cheese for a tuna melt.

Oil or water packed I don't find that big a difference.

I do want solid white Albacore for a sandwich. To me Chunk Light is closer to cat food and I use it in tuna casseroles but not for Tuna Salads.

Lucy & Ethel like both and are really happy whenever I open a can of either one.

I don't think they are really cats. I'm beginning to think they are actually 's in 's disguises.
Old 10-11-2014, 02:48 PM   #109
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
Water packed Light chunk tuna, minced celery, minced sweet or Bermuda onion, minced dill pickle mayo or miracle whip (depending in my mood) on your favorite bread with lettuce and for me with potato chips (preferably sour cream and onion flavor) in the sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
NOW you're talking! Salt and Vinegar chips, crisp iceberg lettuce (need to have some crunch LOL) nice soft white bread (oil and vinegar salad dressing if on a roll) tuna sammie for me. YUM!
Old 10-11-2014, 02:52 PM   #110
Chef Extraordinaire

All of the pics look great. Cucumber stuffed with tuna salad is also popular. For some reason, I can't seem to swallow canned tuna (and can't afford fresh tuna). I ate a lot of canned tuna growing up and in grad school. My mom hates canned tuna (my dad loves it). Maybe that is her dementia and the fact she probably didn't eat it often growing up.

Canned tuna gets stuck in my throat and I gag. No canned tuna in my pantry, but it is a good source of protein and a good bang for the buck. I do have a can of it at the farm for "emergency rations." It would have to be a cold day in Ontario (and too much snow, nothing else left re: emergency rations, starving, before I could get it down). I can't handle leftover salmon or trout, same problem.

Tags
salad, sandwich, tuna