Tuna Salad Sandwich...ingredients.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cold. You mix your tuna like for a sandwich, scoop out the tomato, add the pulp to your tuna mix, minus the juice and fill your tomato with it. Serve on a piece of lettuce. :angel:

It makes a pretty presentation to cut the tomato like a flower. Classic '60s luncheon dish.

20130425-249807-bar-eats-wills-northwoods-inn-tomato-salad.jpg

Do you mean Miracle Whip?

I have a couple foil packets of salmon.
Can I treat this like tuna and make salmon salad for sandwiches.
And for those who do this, does it work well this way?
I have no idea as to what they are for, other than salmon patties.
TIA.

Sure you can. When I make salmon fillets, I often serve them with a remoulade sauce and then flake the leftovers and mix them with leftover sauce to make salmon salad. It's basically the same thing you're suggesting.

Sure RB you can do it with any cooked fish really. I remember catching so many trout while camping along the Frasier River in BC that we couldn't eat all of them fried, so I made lots of "trout salad sandwiches".

Pretty picture GG.

Last edited:
Water packed Light chunk tuna, minced celery, minced sweet or Bermuda onion, minced dill pickle mayo or miracle whip (depending in my mood) on your favorite bread with lettuce and for me with potato chips (preferably sour cream and onion flavor) in the sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

Chunk White Albacore, Sweet relish, mayo,& pepper. With lettuce (If it's in the fridge)on white bread toasted or not depending on my mood.
That's my basic & quick Tuna sammie. :yum:

Sometimes diced onions and or celery find there way in and if I'm feeling really adventurous I'll pop it in the toaster oven with some cheese for a tuna melt. ;)

Oil or water packed I don't find that big a difference.

I do want solid white Albacore for a sandwich. To me Chunk Light is closer to cat food and I use it in tuna casseroles but not for Tuna Salads.

Lucy & Ethel like both and are really happy whenever I open a can of either one. :mrgreen:

I don't think they are really cats. I'm beginning to think they are actually :pig:'s in :cat:'s disguises. :rolleyes:

Water packed Light chunk tuna, minced celery, minced sweet or Bermuda onion, minced dill pickle mayo or miracle whip (depending in my mood) on your favorite bread with lettuce and for me with potato chips (preferably sour cream and onion flavor) in the sandwich.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking

NOW you're talking! Salt and Vinegar chips, crisp iceberg lettuce (need to have some crunch LOL) nice soft white bread (oil and vinegar salad dressing if on a roll) tuna sammie for me. YUM!

Last edited:
All of the pics look great. Cucumber stuffed with tuna salad is also popular. For some reason, I can't seem to swallow canned tuna (and can't afford fresh tuna). I ate a lot of canned tuna growing up and in grad school. My mom hates canned tuna (my dad loves it). Maybe that is her dementia and the fact she probably didn't eat it often growing up.

Canned tuna gets stuck in my throat and I gag. No canned tuna in my pantry, but it is a good source of protein and a good bang for the buck. I do have a can of it at the farm for "emergency rations." It would have to be a cold day in Ontario (and too much snow, nothing else left re: emergency rations, starving, before I could get it down). I can't handle leftover salmon or trout, same problem.

Last edited:
Chunk White Albacore, Sweet relish, mayo,& pepper. With lettuce (If it's in the fridge)on white bread toasted or not depending on my mood.
That's my basic & quick Tuna sammie. :yum:

Sometimes diced onions and or celery find there way in and if I'm feeling really adventurous I'll pop it in the toaster oven with some cheese for a tuna melt. ;)

Oil or water packed I don't find that big a difference.

I do want solid white Albacore for a sandwich. To me Chunk Light is closer to cat food and I use it in tuna casseroles but not for Tuna Salads.

Lucy & Ethel like both and are really happy whenever I open a can of either one. :mrgreen:

I don't think they are really cats. I'm beginning to think they are actually :pig:'s in :cat:'s disguises. :rolleyes:

Do they respond to the sound of the electric can opener? My sister would never see her cat except when you ran the can opener. If he didn't smell the cat food or tuna when the lid came off, he would go into hiding again. :angel:

I don't have an electric can opener, but my cats sure know the sound of a manual can opener. All it takes is breaking the seal on the lid.

I wish they would put flip-top lids on tuna cans like they do on cat food cans. It's so much easier.

Last edited:
I've seen them too, I think on the single-serve cans folks take to work for lunch. I always get the tuna in a pouch, really convenient.

I am not too fond of those seasoned single serving pouches. I have tried a few and they don't use the same seasonings I prefer. Sometimes I will open a single serving can and season it with just salt. Eat it right out of the can. :angel:

Update...

I just made tuna salad sandwiches with Trader Joe's oil packed Yellow Fin Tuna for the first time, and it's a real winner!

The flavor puts Albacore to shame, and I thought it was good before now. I'm sold, and I'll never use any other kind of canned tuna again.

Thanks for the tip Cheryl, TJ's does it once again!:punk:

Update...

I just made tuna salad sandwiches with Trader Joe's oil packed Yellow Fin Tuna for the first time, and it's a real winner!

The flavor puts Albacore to shame, and I thought it was good before now. I'm sold, and I'll never use any other kind of canned tuna again.

I'm glad you liked it, Kay! You reminded me that I'm out, I just added it to my list. :) I also love it drained and mixed in a pasta salad. :yum:

Update...

What I've been saying all along.:D Glad you tried it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom