"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps

Old 11-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #11
Executive Chef

I vote for Chief's second sandwich. I just love a hot turkey sandwich. You can add in a little leftover stuffing with it and smother that with gravy too! Yum!

Old 11-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
for many of us, turkey sandwiches made with Real Turkey are a rather rare treat, usually available only at certain specific times--like right after thanksgiving, for instance.:) if we are lucky, there is stuffing and cranberry sauce to pile on there too! these turkey sammies are so delicious, so special, that one wonders why more folks aren't cooking turkeys and stuffing all the time! maybe they are. maybe i'm just slow figuring out that REAL turkey sandwiches needn't be just a once-a-year thanksgiving-time event....:)
Oh yeh, what he said. Real turkey in sandwiches absolutely trumps deli turkey, canned turkey, any other kind of turkey pre-sliced, altered, or processed turkey product. I cook whole turkeys several times a year. I need to break out the rotary slicer and turn that meat into lunch meat.

Seeeeeeya; Chief longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #13
Executive Chef

+ 1 what Vitauta and the Chief say. Real turkey trumps deli turkey.

I sometimes like a grilled turkey sandwich, with cooked bacon, whatever else you like ( I like to pry apart after cooking and add some tomato slices, and a good cheese. Swiss (because that's what I tend to have) and gouda, provolone, havarti and brie are equally as tasty. Also sprinkle some grated parmesan on the buttered side before grilling. Yum.

If you like basil pesto, spread that on the bread or mix pesto with mayo to taste. This is good on either a cold or grilled turkey sandwich.

I am so easily influenced. Last month meatloaf sandwiches were my favorite. Now, Turkey Sandiwches are my favorite.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndalou View Post
Mine is turkey, dressing, cranberry sauce on whole grain bread. Oh, yes, a little mayo on both slices of bread. So Good.
Mine is just the same except on one slice of bread there is butter and of course I salt the turkey lightly.
kades
Old 11-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Head Chef

Bread, Mayo. Salt, Pepper, Turkey.
That's the basic.
Anything else only adds to the wonderfulness of a Turkey sammy as the individual see's fit.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:06 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
for many of us, turkey sandwiches made with Real Turkey are a rather rare treat, usually available only at certain specific times--like right after thanksgiving, for instance.:) if we are lucky, there is stuffing and cranberry sauce to pile on there too! these turkey sammies are so delicious, so special, that one wonders why more folks aren't cooking turkeys and stuffing all the time! maybe they are. maybe i'm just slow figuring out that REAL turkey sandwiches needn't be just a once-a-year thanksgiving-time event....:)
We eat turkey once a month from October until April. I only stuff it for Thanksgiving and Christmas. The rest of time we roast the turkey with some onion, apple, and carrot in the cavity.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

For those who's family don't like the dark meant can buy throughout the year, just the bone in turkey breast. Roast it on top of stuffing. For me I buy just the legs. there is just enough meat of one of them for a meal, and the second one makes a great sandwich.
Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
For those who's family don't like the dark meant can buy throughout the year, just the bone in turkey breast. Roast it on top of stuffing. For me I buy just the legs. there is just enough meat of one of them for a meal, and the second one makes a great sandwich.
I love all the turkey meat but I think I enjoy the dark meat on the leg the best. My kids won't touch it at all so I get the benefits of the legs all to myself.
kades
Old 11-24-2012, 08:48 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I love all the turkey meat but I think I enjoy the dark meat on the leg the best. My kids won't touch it at all so I get the benefits of the legs all to myself.
kades
I remember going to my Aunt Edna's house for Thanksgiving. She always saved the turkey neck from the stock making. I loved picking the meat out of the bones. It was so sweet.

I loved go to my Aunt's home at holiday time. She had a magical table that could grow all by itself. It wasn't until I turned about eight that I found out she had four leaves she added at holiday time. I only found out because I saw her putting them in. For years she let me have my dream of the magical table.

Tags
turkey