"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Sandwiches & Wraps
Old 05-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #101
Senior Cook
Gotcha... I never thought about flattening it.

biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 09:04 AM   #102
Crushed potato chips makes any sandwhich into fine cusine.

Whole Wheat Cookbook Blog
Ripliancum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:11 AM   #103
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to kimbaby Send a message via Yahoo to kimbaby
kimbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 02:39 PM   #104
Master Chef
When I was a little kid in school, I was known as the "kid with strange sandwiches" - lol!! While other kids had bologna or peanut butter & jelly, I had things like olive loaf, headcheese, liverwurst, & other odd lunch meats.

But my mom's true sandwich-making expertise was at home. Two that she used to make for me that I still make for myself are Sardine & Onion, and Limburger & Onion (REAL Limburger - not the jarred spread). Needless to say, these are not for the fainthearted, & you need a good mouthwash afterwards - lol!!

I also love a good sauteed soft-shell-crab sandwich (in crab season), a good BLT (during tomato season), & a good Egg, Spam, & Cheese on a roll breakfast sandwich.
BreezyCooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:12 PM   #105
Sous Chef
My favorite is cold turkey, cream cheese, toasted sunflower seeds, sprouts, and honey french dressing on wild rice bread. Ummmmmmmmmmm sooooooo good and I will be honest and say....not my creation.
IcyMist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 11:17 PM   #106
Senior Cook
Tried something new the other day: grilled chicken breast, cheddar cheese, bacon, ranch dressing on a toasted french roll.
biev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:57 AM   #107
Master Chef
Wow! Many of these should have been on the old "BreathKillers" sandwich thread.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 12:19 PM   #108
Executive Chef
This is a no-frills great picnic sammy. Fresh ingreds really "make it." Round up all the usual suspects for sides i.e. cold potato or macaroni salad. Some other on-the-side bring-alongs:

Marinated mushrooms
Marinated artichoke hearts
A good bottle of wine

Caprese Sandwich

Focaccia, French/Italian bread, or baguettes
olive oil
fresh basil leaves
fresh tomatoes
chopped red onions
mozzarella, sliced
sliced kalamata olives
salt and fresh ground pepper

Cut bread in half. Layer sliced tomatoes, sliced mozzarella, onions and olives. Sprinkle basil over sandwiches. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

You could add thinly-sliced roast beef or tuna but, I use solid white, drained and flaked -- no mayo etc.

My fave sandwiches came from a local neighborhood Italian Deli/grocery - all freshly made by the owner. What put them over the top, was all the fresh ingreds - i.e. no mushy tuna "salads" tons o' mayo etc - very fresh bakery Italian bread, a little evoo, S&P if you like. The can of tuna was opened in front of you, tomatoes etc were sliced, when you placed your order. Nothing like what you would get at a chain like subway etc.

P.S. The Eggplant sandwiches were to die for.

P.P.S. - Bring a blanket, find a secluded spot in a woiodsey spot, near a waterfall, with your fave person - and that's my idea of heaven.
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:33 PM   #109
Head Chef
My favourite -lightly toast two slices of bread and fill with brie and sliced gherkin. Then a quick blast in the microwave to make the cheese a bit squishy. Yummy.
Snoop Puss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 08:35 PM   #110
Sous Chef
Originally Posted by kimbaby
That's also one of my favorite sandwiches.... adding tomatoe, and the bread is a soft white or a fresh french bread... I know, whole grain is better for you, but taste & tecture is *everything*. In fact I experiment with differnet things like marinating the fillings with a basalmic/rice wine/white wine, etc vinager for a while (at least an hour) and adding herbs such as flat leaf parsley or terragon. In any case good veggies in any guise is tasty.

Even the simple Hellman's mayo, salt and pepper is excellant if the veggies are "very" fresh.

If eating tasty stuff is a sin, I am certainly going south.
CasperImproved is offline   Reply With Quote