Unique and Great Sandwiches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
actually..that makes it sound better norgeskog.. I'll have to try that.

Hey Sierra, you should like this one.. it has brie!

Rosemary Chicken and Brie En Croute:

1 (8oz) can refrigerated cresent dinner rolls
2 tbsp minced green onion
6 oz brie, rind removed and cubed
1 1/2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
1 egg beaten
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 350°. Separate dough into 4 rectangles; firmly press perforations to seal. Spoon 1/4 minced onions onto center of each rectangle; top with 1/4 cheese and 1/4 chicken; pressing into cheese. Fold short ends over chicken, overlapping slightly. Fold open ends over about 1/2" to form rectangle. Press all edges to seal. Place seam side down on ungreased cookie sheet. Cut three 1 inch slashes on top of each roll to allow steam to escape. Brush with egg; sprinkle with rosemary and parmesan cheese. Bake for 25 min or until golden brown... makes 4 sandwiches.

Chicken BLT sammiches:

4 boneless, skiness chicken breast halves, cooked with olive oil in skillet
1/4 cup thousand island dressing mixed with 2 slices crisp-cooked, crumbled bacon
4 whole wheat buns, split
tomato slices
8 slices bacon, cooked crisp (2 per sammich)
lettuce

Spread dressing on cut sides of buns. Layer chicken, tomato, bacon and lettuce on bottom of buns; put the top on.. and eat!!

This would also be good with some melted provolone or swiss cheese. After putting on chicken, tomato and bacon, lay a slice of cheese on top.. set in the broiler for a couple secs until cheese melts.. then top with lettuce and other half of bun. YUM!

A loooong time ago I lived in Washington, D.C. There was a sandwich deli on the street floor of the building that housed the National Press Club. One day I went in and had this bodacious sandwich. I've forgotten what they called it. It was made of real Russian pumpernickel, sliced turkey breast, chopped chicken liver and Bermuda onion, with Thousand Island dressing. Aaabfab!

Cats

my all time favorite sammich is called a balboa, kind of a nyc version of a philly cheese steak.

it's thick slices of warm roast beef on garlic bread, topped with melted cheese, raw onions and ketchup.

Hawaiian Spam Muffins:

4 english muffins, split and toasted
butter or margarine
prepared mustard
1 can SPAM thinly sliced (7 oz)
1 can pineapple slices, drained (15 1/4 oz)
1 sm green pepper, cut into 8 rings
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tsp water

Heat oven to 375°. Spread muffins with butter and
mustard. Overlap SPAM slices on each muffin half.
Place a pineapple slice and a green pepper ring on
each muffin. Combine brown sugar and water; spoon over
sandwiches. Place muffins on baking sheet. Bake 10
minutes. Serve hot.

I don't know if a variation of this is somewhere on here, but:

Saute chopped cremini mushrooms with garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and a dash of balsamic vinegar. cook until a juicy gravy forms.

Spread a layer of hummus (store bought, red-pepper flavor works really well) over two slices of multigrain bread. Layer the first bread slice with Monterey jack cheese, top with mushrooms, more cheese on top, second slice of hummussed bread covering, squish.

Broil until bread is toasty outside and cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes. Very, very messy.

puddinhead said:
I don't know if a variation of this is somewhere on here, but:

Saute chopped cremini mushrooms with garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, and a dash of balsamic vinegar. cook until a juicy gravy forms.

Spread a layer of hummus (store bought, red-pepper flavor works really well) over two slices of multigrain bread. Layer the first bread slice with Monterey jack cheese, top with mushrooms, more cheese on top, second slice of hummussed bread covering, squish.

Broil until bread is toasty outside and cheese is melted, about 3-5 minutes. Very, very messy.

May be verry verry messy, but sounds very very taasty. You wouldn't be the famous Pudin' head Wilson of short story fame from my childhood? No? Too bad. He was cool in the end of the story. You must be cool too.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Any of you got a really good, step-by-step walk through of the perfect "tuna salad" sandwich?

Presently experimenting with different kinds of canned tuna, water packing, oil packing, etc...

Preferring "Miracle Whip" over "Mayonnaise"...

red onion bits vs raw leek or green onion bits...

really finely diced green pepper

dashes of tobasco sauce

dribbles of lemon juice...

Very fresh baked "Euro Bread", toasted or not....

I'm stuck here, can you all give me some suggestions?

Lifter

Lifter, here's my two cents:

I prefer water packed tuna because you are going to add oil (i.e., mayo, et al.) later. Recently made a batch using oil-packed tuna and it got too soggy.

Use a combo of sour cream and real mayo for the glue.

For crunch I like finely chopped celery and a little yellow onion myself, but red onion sounds even better. Aren't you the water chestnut fan? Those may make an interesting crunch alternative as well.

Another version I like involves adding about a tablespoon of dill pickle relish per can of tuna to the mix.

Best on a substantial, whole-grain type of bread. Also good as a "dip" for Ritz crackers.

Since I eat garlic in just about everything that isn't sugary, I like a half a clove (No powder, ew!) per can of tuna, and about 2 tablespoons of chopped red onion. for some reason, raw garlic and onion, a fairly potent combo, become overpowering in canned tuna, so it doesn't need much. Parsely, celery, and of course, mayo and salt&pepper.

Toasted white and lettuce, and that's all.

Amen to bug on the water-packed tuna!

My recipe is practically identical to puddinhead's, except I do love to sprinkle in some walnuts chopped fairly fine. In the summer, a family favorite is to add some red grape halves and serve in puff pastry shells. Our favorite sandwich is an open faced tuna over whole-wheat bread with some biting swiss cheese melted under the broiler. Sprinkle of fresh ground pepper on top and a whisper of ground habanero.

Yakuta said:
Green Chutney Sandwich:

Other ingredients:

Slices of white bread
Thinly sliced cucumber rounds
Thinly sliced tomato rounds
Thinly sliced boiled potato rounds
Some unsalted butter quote]

I've been looking around this board for about two days now, and all the food sounds so good, I've hardly left the crazy sandwiches.

In my house, we make these just this way, but with onions and sometimes beets. The chutney's jarred though, as the food processor is a new addition. The butter we use is warmed to the consistency of mayo, so as not to tear the bread.

Thanks Mudbug! Some great ideas!

As this seems to be your area of expertise, lets agree to waterpacked tuna, white, or albacore. or what? Do you use pre-flaked or solid and break it up yourself?

I agree with PuddingHead and Audeo on the pepper thing...and am going to try out the garlic add in, on a pastry shell...or maybe a croissant?

Lifter

Back
Top Bottom