What Sandwiches Really Float Your Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...Caramelized onions is a good addition to just about any sandwich, like grilled cheese.
I didn't like onions in any form during the first 20 years of my life. Then I worked in an office building large enough to have its own cafeteria. Usually took a lunch, but I would treat myself on the days they had something really appealing (the staff did make good food, not slop) or when I wanted a grilled cheese. With tomato, please. The first time they grilled the sammie on the same flattop spot that had grilled onions just before, I was smitten. That faint taste of onion-y butter was delicious.

Every once in a while, when I'm making grilled cheese sandwiches for supper, I'll caramelize a lot of onions in it whether I need all of them or not. Some go on Himself's sandwich, the rest get put away - and my sandwich is the first one made in that pan.:yum:

Fried egg and pepperjack cheese BLTs
Reubens
Club sandwiches
Peanut butter and jelly or honey
Grilled 4-cheese with pickles and sliced green olives

Now I'm hungry...

I've said it before, and I apologize for repeating myself. when I was little I am sure there was a conspiracy between the school lunch ladies and my mom about who could Always introduce egg shell bits in my egg salad sandwiches. Gah. Solution I found was to place a layer of potato chips on the sandwich and then eat.

That said, I like to sometimes mix in thin sliced and diced radish, or jalapeno peppers or a spoon full of well drained Famous Dave's ( or other) pepper relish. Bbq flavored potato chips sounds like a new added treat to me.
--

Caramelized onions is a good addition to just about any sandwich, like grilled cheese.

I am so glad you remember radishes. I always use them in a salad and so many other ways. I buy them on a regular basis. :angel:

I have to say that sandwiches here in UK are very tame stuff compared to the gourmet feast that American sandwiches are!

We get a TV programme here that showcases American take aways, snacks etc. They go behind the scenes and show how they are made. I have mentioned this before i.e. that I am really envious of what you can eat there! :yum:

A proper Ploughman sandwich is on my bucket list. ;)
I make Branston Pickle that friends say is very good and try
to make the sandwich but feel maybe the cheese I use is lacking.

I have to say that sandwiches here in UK are very tame stuff compared to the gourmet feast that American sandwiches are!

We get a TV programme here that showcases American take aways, snacks etc. They go behind the scenes and show how they are made. I have mentioned this before i.e. that I am really envious of what you can eat there! :yum:

You just have to be careful not to assume those shows are representative of what most of us eat. Some of them, for example Diners Drive-ins and Dives, are so over-the-top that most of us would never dream of trying them. Many of us think of that as shock t.v. The sandwiches mentioned in this thread are much more representation of reality.

That said, we are a very diverse population of 350 million people, stretching from the Atlantic to the Pacific. There are several distinct regions whose core populations have their roots in many different countries.

At D.C. we come from many of those regions, and our roots come from different countries. Many also are in Canada, which contrary to some people's perception, is a separate country, even greater expanse, with their own regions and cultural pockets. I am one of the people here who has lived in both countries, and there are certainly cultural differences.

Triple D maybe fascinating, but most of us really eat BLT, PBJ, grilled cheese, rubens, hamburgers, e.g., not six-Decker monstrosities. Not really envy inducing!

Yep, some of those sandwiches on DDD are just gag inducing to me and I would never order or make them. I can't even stand the thought of protein(s), fries or chips, slaw, etc. all together on a sandwich, much less trying to eat it, ESPECIALLY out in public. My mom's sandwiches are bad enough and that's why we only have them once in a very great while, it's probably been 2 years or more since we last had them. Most of the sandwiches we eat are grilled cheese of some kind with soup, BLTs, Cubans or burgers of some kind. Last night. I could barely even finish my burger, had to not eat a good chunk of the bun, nor did I eat that many of the homemade thin potato chips I made. I actually prefer slider size over a regular burger now, easier/cleaner to eat and 2 are more than enough for me, and I usually end up leaving part of 1 of those buns too.

Please don't make assumptions about how most Americans eat based on a show like DDD. It would be like assuming there are tons of English people like Hyacinth Bucket (or Bu-kay as she pronounces it). :rolleyes: :LOL:

You are so right Mad Cow. Unfortunately in this country we seem to think more is better. It used to be that you sent your kid off to school in the morning with a sandwich of two slices of white bread covered with either mustard or mayo. Then you put one or two slices of baloney and one or two slices of cheese. A single Hostess cupcake for dessert, maybe a piece of fruit and change to buy a drink if you didn't have a boxed drink that was loaded with sugar on hand. Now kids are handed enough money to buy several slices of pizza, or a large sub with "every thing but the kitchen sink" on the way to school. No wonder we seem to have an epidemic of obesity in this country.

As adults we eat out at restaurants that pile our plates right to the edge. And then there are all the sides that go with it. You end up taking a doggie bag with you when you leave. Unless you are a laborer digging ditches all day, there is no way any normal person can clean their plate.

I have never been a big eater. In fact when I make a sandwich now, I use one slice of bread, cut it in half and remove the crust. It doesn't make a big sandwich. But it fills me.

My daughter took me out to eat for my birthday. We both ordered the fried clam plate. Hold the French Fries. So they gave us a few extra clams and a huge pile of fried onions. I ate about four or five of the clams, and I was full. My daughter did a little better than me. We both took a doggie bag home. They had no child's menu. I will often order from that if it is allowed.

Yup! We are a country of piggies when it comes to eating. :angel:

Same thing up here in Canada... I was at a little country diner last week. I knew what I wanted so without looking at the menu, I just told the server, "breakfast please, just your regular bacon and eggs type thing." It comes out... two eggs, bacon, ham AND sausage and enough home fried potatoes to feed a marine platoon. Oh, and two huge slices of home made bread, toasted. All for $7.99. The plate was bigger than the steering wheel on my truck.

I could only eat half... and even then, I had to get a couple of the ladies from the diner to help put me in my truck... "Okay, you grab that side... now, you... hold on to my shoulder and push...Oh, pardon me." (fart!)

We North Americans eat WAY too much food, as a whole.

RD

Last edited:

Okay, Creative... let's make a deal.

I'll send you a couple of those kick-butt American sandwiches that you see on the TV and you send me some of your traditional pub style fish 'n chips from your local chippy.

Deal????

RD

Last edited:

I'll send you a couple of those kick-butt American sandwiches that you see on the TV and you send me some of your traditional pub style fish 'n chips from your local chippy.

Deal????

RD
Ha... DEAL!!!! If only.... (sighs)... :cool:

Deal????

RD

Count me in on this deal!

The only sandwich I really like is a Turkey sandwich on a white roll, with some lettuce, tomato, bacon, cheddar cheese, mayo and mustard. I'm not a really big sandwich person, unless I make a tuna melt or a grilled cheese at home. Otherwise I'm convinced the best tasting sandwich can only be made at a fast food place. I'm reduced to eating at Subway now, but I still remember how good those Togo turkey sandwiches were.

The only sandwich I really like is a Turkey sandwich on a white roll, with some lettuce, tomato, bacon, cheddar cheese, mayo and mustard. I'm not a really big sandwich person, unless I make a tuna melt or a grilled cheese at home. Otherwise I'm convinced the best tasting sandwich can only be made at a fast food place. I'm reduced to eating at Subway now, but I still remember how good those Togo turkey sandwiches were.
I recently had a deluxe turkey sandwich from an artisan bakery. The very fresh bread had cranberries in it and the turkey came with a good quality coleslaw. The combination was amazing!

Anything you buy from a fast food outlet could surely be made at home...and maybe even better?

I recently had a deluxe turkey sandwich from an artisan bakery. The very fresh bread had cranberries in it and the turkey came with a good quality coleslaw. The combination was amazing!

Anything you buy from a fast food outlet could surely be made at home...and maybe even better?

You would think so but to me, a sub sandwich is sort of like a hamburger from Micky D's or Jack in the Box. The never taste the same at home as they do when you spend $7 or $8 on them.

1. Monte Cristo, with strawberry preserves and a mixed berry salad

2. Mushroom cheesesteak hoagie with pepperoncini

3. bacon, lettuce and tomato club. In order for it to be a club, it has to have 3 slices of bread and be cut in quarters

Wholemeal bread, cooked ham on the buttered piece of bread, then hard boiled egg sliced, or thing slices of chicken, then slices of tomato then shredded crisp lettuce on a piece of wholemeal bread with mayo. One of those is a complete dinner!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

"People of ze wurl, relax" - the parrrot in Tom Robbins 'Fierce Invalids Home from Hot Climates'.

1. Monte Cristo, with strawberry preserves and a mixed berry salad

LOVE Monte Cristo, haven't made one in forever. Beloved wife is Jewish, and, while we have a pre-marriage negotiated agreement on shellfish (she is from Maryland originally and we agree we can't cut crab out of the diet) I did agree to cut pork out of the diet.

Not that I can't eat it, and when she is away on business, I usually have a PORK FESTIVAL, but day to day I don't like cooking something she can't eat, and a monte cristo without the ham is kind of lame. Ah well, next time she has a trial in California....

One of my favorites is simple, but beloved. When I have fresh sourdough made I always get the ingredients this.

Sourdough bread, sliced thick, sometimes *lightly* toasted, depending on my mood
fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
fresh tomatoes, sliced
fresh basil
GOOD balsamic vinegar, just a drizzle

great refreshing summer sandwich.

TBS

One of my favorites is simple, but beloved. When I have fresh sourdough made I always get the ingredients this.

Sourdough bread, sliced thick, sometimes *lightly* toasted, depending on my mood
fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
fresh tomatoes, sliced
fresh basil
GOOD balsamic vinegar, just a drizzle

great refreshing summer sandwich.

TBS

I do love a good caprese salad, or sandwich. I like red wine vinegar on mine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom