Average Cost Per Pound Using KA Specialty Flours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a loaf of bread using a KA recipe today. It's their recipe for Honey-Oat Pain de Mie. I bought the pan (on Amazon) because I wanted bread with a thinner crust. (I bought the pan for thin crust. I went to Amazon because it was cheaper!)

I'm thrilled with the recipe and the outcome! Very flavorful, soft but has enough strength to be sliced on the thin-side.

Here is a picture of the finished product! I made the recipe exactly like the recipe with KA all-purpose flour. I will definitely make it again!

Attachments

• 2013-10-27 16.15.34.jpg
    2013-10-27 16.15.34.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
As much as I dislike bread, even I would love to have a toasted egg salad with that bread. Or even just toasted with butter. :angel:

Using such King Arthur specialty flours as Sir Lancelot, First Clear, Medium Rye, and Whole Wheat seems to bring the cost of producing a loaf of bread to about $1.50 per pound.
While this would appear to be nearly double the cost to make bread using the bread flours available at many supermarkets, I consider the additional cost to be one of the more affordable luxuries.
What think you?
The taste is the key. If it tastes better than that made with the cheaper flour then hang the expense. Anyway, if it tastes better, has a better texture and keeps better then it's probably more economical anyway. I find that the better the bread's quality the less people seem to need to eat as it's more satisfying.

Using such King Arthur specialty flours as Sir Lancelot, First Clear, Medium Rye, and Whole Wheat seems to bring the cost of producing a loaf of bread to about $1.50 per pound.
While this would appear to be nearly double the cost to make bread using the bread flours available at many supermarkets, I consider the additional cost to be one of the more affordable luxuries.
What think you?
The better the flour, the better the bread and the better it tastes and the better it is for you.

It was quite common during the Victorian era for a working man to eat up to 4 pounds of bread a day!

Back
Top Bottom