Bleached or Unbleached Flour - Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RebeccaAnn

Assistant Cook
Not sure were to start..help!! :) My delima tonight.. bleached flour verses unbleached flour for cooking yeast rolls...Does it really matter???

Not sure were to start..help!! :) My delima tonight.. bleached flour verses unbleached flour for cooking yeast rolls...Does it really matter???
I'd just use what I have available. I've done it often and it doesn't seem to matter. Welcome to DC Rebecca
kadesma

I've seen very little difference between the two. You would likely see a small difference in a fine textured cake (bleached performs slightly better).

Unbleached is a more natural product and is what I use.

IMO no difference except possibly minor appearance variation. If you're baking a cake then it could possibly make a difference. Bread, rolls, etc., I very much doubt it.

I haven't used bleached AP flour for years. It's a point of principle with me. I want a definite reason why I should use a more processed food vs. a less processed food, and I'll always buy the least processed food that gets the job done.

IMO part of the reason that bleached flour may be preferred by some is that it looks nicer in it's raw form. I scoff that.

Last edited:
I've heard/seen some research, I do not know how reliable, that says that it is healthier to use unbleached flour.
In all the truth it will not make difference.

Back
Top Bottom