"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I agree. I would knead for 5-10 minutes in the mixer at speed 3 or 4. I do bagels at speed 4 for 7-10 minutes. Many recipes say when you are machine kneading, to knead for half the time given for hand kneading.

Also, don't over knead. You'd have to be a really needy kneader to knead more than it needs.
No need to knead longer than needed unless you need to knead to satisfy your kneading need.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #12
Senior Cook

also get rid of the fat!

lean dough makes the best bread bar none!

I know it goes against all culinary rules. it seems the more fat you add the better a dish gets. but its opposite in my opinion with bread. The french baguette is perhaps one of the best breads known. and its simply flour, yeast and water. NO FAT!

Once you start adding fat the bread starts turning into what I call "wonder bread" the white doughy stuff peanut butter sandwiches are made of. keep going and you'll get brioche. ( a very fatty bread made of fat and eggs)

Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 PM   #13
Cook

MusiGal,

One of my old bread books (Homemade Bread, by the food editors of Farm Journal) describes the CoolRise method in some detail. The book states that this technique was developed by the home economists in the Robin Hood Flour Kitchens. It's been around for a while, since the book is copyright 1969. Anyway, this method gives the baker more control over the timing of the process, but you have to expect some compromise of the quality of the loaves.

I would add one additional suggestion to the other ones made above. How do you measure your flour? Depending on your method, you might be adding a lot more flour than the recipe calls for. I'm thinking that this might be a problem because you said that all your breads turn out too dense.

The most accurate way to measure flour is to weigh it. If you don't already have one, you might want to buy an electronic kitchen scale. Then figure that one cup of flour weighs about 130 grams. After I started weighing my flour, I found that I was adding significantly less of it, and my loaves were lighter.

HTH

Pete K.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Thanks everyone. Lots of things to take into consideration the next time I get a chance to bake. I'll let you all know what happens!