"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 06-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #41
Certified Pretend Chef

Did you measure the internal temperature to determine doneness?

Old 06-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

No--I don't seem to have a thermometer here, yet. I did thump it. Inside, it is done, it just didn't brown very much. It could be the oven. I'm still struggling to get used to the new to me oven. Also, I had to use muffin pans for the water because I haven't moved the pan I usually use...sorta like camping <g>.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #43
Certified Pretend Chef

I used a CI skillet for the water.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:08 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

I usually use CI but I only have my Le Creuset here at the house since I'm going back and forth between here and the farm. I left all the CI out there...so had to improvise. I didn't want to put any of my Le Creuset skillets in at 450...I suppose I could've gone downstairs and taken one out of the box of Le Creuset I'm storing for my brother!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:52 PM   #45
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I always use my stand mixer for bread doughs, unless it's the "no knead" variety. I like the results and it makes making bread nearly effortless.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #46
Executive Chef

I like the feeling of hand kneading bread. It gives me a kinetic sense of accomplishment. Of the breads I've made (I'm really not much more than a barely intermediate bread baker) I haven't found that the breads I've made need all that much kneading. I've wondered if recipes I follow haven't exaggerated the need to knead. The breads I've made came out fine with not all that much kneading.

I wonder if we've become needy of gourmetism that we need to knead far more often than the real need to knead.

Particularly when we buy machines to knead for us. I've never had one of them, I never kneaded it.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:38 PM   #47
Chef Extraordinaire

Way back when, before I had problems with my hands, I always kneaded my bread dough. Well, I only made a few varieties. My grandmother taught me to make bread when I was 9 years old. I remember her teaching me how to know when the dough had been kneaded enough (when spanked, it sounded as if hitting a baby's butt is how she explained it) and how to tell the right texture/elasticity. I miss kneading bread, but my hands can't take it anymore.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:02 PM   #48
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Way back when, before I had problems with my hands, I always kneaded my bread dough. Well, I only made a few varieties. My grandmother taught me to make bread when I was 9 years old. I remember her teaching me how to know when the dough had been kneaded enough (when spanked, it sounded as if hitting a baby's butt is how she explained it) and how to tell the right texture/elasticity. I miss kneading bread, but my hands can't take it anymore.
If I want my signature to be illegible for a week I can knead bread. But, I can't handle the pain, so it's best to let a machine do it for me.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
If I want my signature to be illegible for a week I can knead bread. But, I can't handle the pain, so it's best to let a machine do it for me.
I'm in the same boat. I broke my wrist a few years ago and since then, kneading by hand is painful. Not to mention I'm too lazy to do it manually.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I'm in the same boat. I broke my wrist a few years ago and since then, kneading by hand is painful. Not to mention I'm too lazy to do it manually.
I suffer from De Quervain syndrome (De Quervain syndrome - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), which has flared up again thanks to Rocky's attack on my arm. I have had to use a bread machine for years for the mixing (didn't like the baked bread). Now, however, I have decided that my stand mixer does a nice job. I have to say, my grandma made bread until she died at 78, kneaded it, and never complained. Makes me wonder how painful it was for her to make those "to die for" cinnamon rolls and cinnamon bread she always had waiting for my family when we arrived...

Tags
bread