"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 11-18-2008, 04:46 PM   #11
Senior Cook

I did it! I made bread! First time ever after several do-overs.

I used deelady's mother's recipe because I didn't have bread flour. I subbed butter for shortening.

It was a lot of fun! Thank you everyone for your help, the online video tutorial was really super helpful.

NOW I want to find other bread recipes...honey wheat is one I'd like to try.

Many many recipes out there require a bread machine or bread flour. Of which I have neither.

Thanks again everyone!
Jeni

Here's the receipe I used:

Vicky's Perfect White bread

1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 c milk, scalded
2 T sugar
2 tsp salt
1 T shortening
5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour

Soften active dry yeast in warm water (110 degrees)
Combine hot milk, sugar, salt, and shortening. Cool to luke warm.
Stir in two cups of flour, beat well. Add the softened yeast; mix.
Add enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
Turn out on lightly floured surface;knead till smooth and satiny (8-10 min)
Shape into a ball; place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.Cover, let rise in warm place till doubled (about 1 1/4 hrs).
Punch down.

Cut dough into two portions. Shape each into smooth ball, cover and let rest 10 min. Shape into loaves, place in two greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
cover and let rise till doubled (45-60 mins)
Preheat oven to 400.
Bake in hot oven 400 for 35 mins or until done. If tops brown too fast cover loosely with foil last 15 mins.
Makes 2 loaves.

Takes total time of about 4- 4 1/2 hrs to make start to finish.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Jeni, check your area thrift stores for bread machines. I bought a beautiful Welbilt machine a couple of years ago for $2. It looked as though it had been barely used and has been performing perfectly for me.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Many many recipes out there require a bread machine or bread flour. Of which I have neither.
First, Congratiulations!!!!!!! See, it wasn't all that hard.

Bread machines modify existing bread recipes to accommodate the machines. I believe they all require Instant Yeast, and it's also sold as Bread Machine Yeast in small glass jars for about $5-$7 per jar...VERY EXPENSIVE! You can buy Instant yeast at Sam's Club, BJ's, Costco or a local restaurant supplier in one pound vacuum pack for under $3 per pound. A pound will make about 90-100 loaves of bread, and it can be kept in the fridge or freezer.

I did not like my bread machine because I couldn't shape my bread. I was stuck with a loaf shaped like the bread machine pan. After a short time I just used the machine to mix the dough, then transfered the dough to my own bread pans or shaped the dough into rolls and baked them on sheet pans. That also ended shortly when I could only make enough dough for one loaf of bread, and it took forever to do so. If all you want is one loaf of bread at a time, the machines are fine for that. They are also nice for people who load the machine in the morning before going to work, and come home to a fresh loaf of bread for dinner

You can make bread dough faster by hand than with a bread machine if you want to make more than one loaf at a time, and most bread recipes are designed for two loaves. It's also more rewarding doing it by hand. If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, that's a real easy way to make the dough also.

Keep plugging away. The hard part is now behind you.

Joe
Old 11-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #14
Head Chef

JoeV, your loaves look fantastic. You must bake a lot and share. That is what I wind up doing.
Old 11-18-2008, 08:12 PM   #15
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieSusan View Post
JoeV, your loaves look fantastic. You must bake a lot and share. That is what I wind up doing.
Yes, I make a lot of bread that I take to a lot of my senior citizen customers. Many are widowed and lack the desire to bake any longer because they don't have anyone to share it with. It's really pretty sad. I took a half loaf of no-knead wheat bread to one of my widows today when I went there to do a small plumbing job. She was thrilled to have fresh bread, and immediately toasted a slice. The look on her face as she enjoyed that toast was priceless.

I had the afternoon off today so I baked Challah bread again and made Pasta E Fagioli for dinner. The sesame seeded loaf will go to another senior customer tomorrow whe I do a job for them. I'm getting better at this recipe, and I will be increasing the volume so I can get larger loaves. Most of my recipes have 5-6 cups (1#13 oz) of flour, so I'll just bump the ingredients to match that weight and convert the entire recipe to weight for repeatability.

JoeV
Old 11-18-2008, 08:40 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Joe I thought I begged you earlier to STOP THAT!!!!
:) :) :)
Gonna have to take pics of my bagels some morning......
Old 11-21-2008, 05:22 PM   #17
Head Chef

Jeni78, have I got the bread book for you! It has wonderful recipes and lots of technique pictures so you can see what you are suppose to do. I really love this book. The Art of Bread (Cooking Arts Collection) by Eric Treuille and Ursula Ferrigno. see.
Alibris: 9660804356
You can read the reviews yourself and order the book from your local library.
Susan
Old 11-21-2008, 05:25 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Thank you Susan! That's what I need is a good book.

Joe - how do you make your loaves all lumpy/woven/interesting looking?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #19
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
Thank you Susan! That's what I need is a good book.

Joe - how do you make your loaves all lumpy/woven/interesting looking?
Weaving braided loaves is really easy once you see it done. Here are two excellent online videos that show you how. BTW, you can braid any yeast bread, not just the Challah bread. I frequently braid my Italian bread loaves.

JoeV
Old 11-21-2008, 09:40 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Thank you!

Another question...in your search for that perfect loaf of bread, is there a way to pair down recipes so I don't always get 2 loaves? I'm really digging the bread making but don't have the people to eat the product.

Can I just cut everything down like a regular recipe?

Thanks!