ISO good solid directions for making bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you!

Another question...in your search for that perfect loaf of bread, is there a way to pair down recipes so I don't always get 2 loaves? I'm really digging the bread making but don't have the people to eat the product.

Can I just cut everything down like a regular recipe?

Thanks!

Yes, just reduce the ingredients by half, and you will have enough dough for a single loaf. I do this with my pumpernickel bread all the time, because I'm usually making it just to fill it with spinach dip as an appetizer.

If you're looking for someone to help you eat your bread, I would suggest local nursing homes, or check with your local church or synagogue who can direct you to elderly shut-ins who are not able to make bread for themselves. I give away much of my bread in half loaf portions to some of my senior widowed customers. It's just enough for them to enjoy with nothing going to waste. This gives me an excuse to bake more.:LOL:

My church has 4 priests in residence, and I give them loaves as a break from the store-bought stuff their cook buys. Needless to say, they really enjoy the treat.

Joe

If a recipe can be halved easily, yes, but I tend not to halve recipes that call for an uneven amount of eggs.

Some time ago Vera Blue recommended a book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, that has helped my bread making to a great degree. See here.

Some time ago Vera Blue recommended a book, The Bread Baker's Apprentice, that has helped my bread making to a great degree. See here.
My DS was looking over my shoulder while I was on Amazon's website, and saw that I was looking at this very book. I was just about ready to buy it when he reminded me that I always buy stuff when I want it, and never have ideas for anyone for Christmas gifts. I closed the browser and told him I'll wait till Christmas, but it better be under the tree!:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom