"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 01-30-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
Head Chef

jemi78 -- Would love to have your recipe for the wonder bread like. Husband loves wonderbread. thanks,

Going to try the potato bread also

JoeV breads are great

Old 01-30-2009, 11:58 AM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Of course, the down side is that the oven heats up the house..but it is worth it.
LOL Karen, I had to laugh at this. You are in Mexico so that would make sense...here in Minnesota, one of the BEST things about baking bread is that it heats up the house!

letscook - I've used a several:

http://http://breadbaking.about.com/...basicbread.htm

Cooks.com - Recipe - Streamlined White Bread

Bread Recipes: White Bread Recipe

These are the recipes I used when I first started so I can't say for sure which is the most wonder-ish.

JoeV - how do you get the glazed look on your bread? If you sprinkle with poppy seeds, do you do that before baking?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2009, 01:08 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeni78 View Post
JoeV - how do you get the glazed look on your bread? If you sprinkle with poppy seeds, do you do that before baking?

Thanks!
The glaze is just egg white mixed with a fork with a little water. I brush it on the bread just before baking, and it also serves to hold the sesame or poppy seeds in place. Yes, the seeds go on before baking.

If using sesame seeds or poppy seeds, be sure to refrigerate them after opening the container to maintain their freshness. Whole seeds will go rancid if left to get warm for extended periods of time. I keep mine tightly sealed in the fridge.