"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids

Old 06-12-2008, 10:19 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
I know where Mentor is - I'm only about 12 hours away
I don't know how I missed this! I'm just around the corner (literally), maybe I can smell it baking while driving down the street.......... save me a piece!

Barb

Old 06-12-2008, 12:42 PM   #12
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziquzie View Post
So Joe I'm guessing a low-carb diet is out for you???
You really do a wonderful job with all your bread.
Mine turns out so much flatter..... but the texture is right inside.
suziquzie,

Are you using a La Cloche oblong cooker for your NYT bread? If you are and the bread comes out flatter than mine, here are a few possible reasons why:

1. With this cooker (and all of my NYT bread) I use 1# of flour instead of the 3 C that the recipe calls for. I still use 1-1/2 teaspoons of salt & 1/4 teaspoon of Instant Yeast, but use 13 oz. of warm water for hydration. This works well every time for me.

2. This one is a real possibility, and I've read about it in several places on the web...the loaf collapses from overhandling or improper handling while putting the risen loaf into the cooker. You can actually deflate the loaf by mishandling. I alleviated this problem by using oiled parchment paper in my proofing basket, then lifting the loaf by the paper's edges and setting the loaf in the cooker.

3. Check your yeast to make sure it's alive and well. I use SAF Instant Yeast that I bought in a 1# package ($2.16 per pound at GFS restaurant supply). I keep 4 oz in the refrigerator and the balance in the freezer. I read a treatise on yeast awhile back, and now only use Instant Yeast.

4. If you are using a round cooker, try using a pot that is smaller in diameter. I can do a 1# loaf in a 2-1/2 qt. Corning casserole dish (square)with the glass lid, or a 2 liter Pyrex bowl (round) with glass lid. Here are two loaves made with these containers:

Hope this helps.

Joe

Old 06-12-2008, 12:48 PM   #13
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by homecook View Post
I don't know how I missed this! I'm just around the corner (literally), maybe I can smell it baking while driving down the street.......... save me a piece!

Barb
If you can find my house on Champaign Dr., I'll share a slice with you. Hurry, because there's not much left of the loaf. If the van is in the yard, I'm home. Here's a hint, I live right at the stop sign, and the front yard looks like...

Joe
Old 06-12-2008, 02:34 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Bread really looks good, but just what is NYT?
Old 06-12-2008, 02:37 PM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post
If you can find my house on Champaign Dr., I'll share a slice with you. Hurry, because there's not much left of the loaf. If the van is in the yard, I'm home. Here's a hint, I live right at the stop sign, and the front yard looks like...

Joe

Beautiful home , Joe !
Old 06-12-2008, 02:40 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
Bread really looks good, but just what is NYT?
NYT is the acronym for New York Times, from which this bread recipe got it's start. Check out this thread and follow the link to the original video describing the process and recipe:

NY Times bread recipe--what FUN

Joe
Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
Beautiful home , Joe !
Thank you.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:04 PM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeV View Post

Joe
OMG!! You have the lovely fountain in the front yard. I look at that every time I drive by. lol I also live right by a stop sign, Ohio and Buchanan/Hoover) (Does any one stop at yours?) I wish I would have seen this earlier. I was at my moms' condo in Independence putting in flooring in the kitchen, getting it ready to sell. I really could have used a fresh slice of bread. lol

Barb
Old 06-12-2008, 07:45 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Ok everyone....I can vouch for Joe's wonderful bread. He actually stopped at the house and brought me four slices. It was fantastic!! He was right..........it didn't last long at all. My son ate two pieces, dh and I had one. I definitely have to try this! I hope Joe doesn't mind that I posted this. He's a really nice guy!! (I told you I literally lived just around the corner from him). It was so nice of him to bring it over, I was shocked.

Barb
Old 06-12-2008, 09:43 PM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Russellkhan
That's a great story. Nice to know there are still friendly neighbors in this day and age.