Onion Bagels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
Here's my recipe for onion bagels. I've been making this recipe for 12-15 years with great success. I don't compare them to New York bagels or Montreal bagels. I was unsatisfied with the bagels I got from Einstein Brothers and Finagel a Bagel so I decided to make my own.

ONION BAGELS

465 Gr Warm Tap Water
1 Pkg Active Dry Yeast
1 Tb Sugar
735 Gr Bread Flour
2 tsp Kosher Salt
¼ C Toasted Onion Flakes
1½ tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Oil
1 Tb Sugar

Combine the water, yeast, and the sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook (coat the top part of the hook with oil to minimize sticking). Stir and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes depending on room temperature.

Separately combine the flour, salt, onion flakes and onion powder. Turn the mixer on to the lowest speed and gradually add the dry ingredients to the mixer bowl. Mix until the dough comes together. Continue mixing for 10 minutes at speed setting 2 until a stiff dough is formed.

Remove the dough from the bowl and oil the bowl. Place the dough back in the bowl, turning the dough to coat it completely with oil. Place plastic wrap directly onto the dough surface and let it rise in a warm spot until doubled in size.

Preheat the oven to 400º F.

Bring 4 quarts of water and 1 tablespoon of sugar to boiling in the widest pan available (5½-qt. sauté pan). Line two half sheet pans with parchment paper.

Remove the dough from the bowl and knead briefly by hand to deflate it. Using a scale and a calculator, remove 1/12th of the dough from the bowl and form it into a smooth ball then poke your finger through the center of a ball and twirl it around your finger to enlarge it to a 3½-4 inch diameter. Repeat for all the dough. Place the shaped bagels on a floured surface and cover with a towel. Allow it to rest and rise.

Place bagels top down into the boiling water 4 at a time and boil for 1 minute, flipping them over after 30 seconds. Remove the boiled bagels to the baking sheet. Repeat until the pans are filled with six bagels each.

Place the pans in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes or until medium golden brown. Move the pans around from shelf to shelf and turn them front to back during the baking time to ensure even baking.

Cool completely before wrapping for storage.

My best bagels come from a dough that is slightly tacky to the touch but doesn't stick to your fingers so it's impossible to manage.

thinking of trying my first bagels

In your vast knowledge of your kitchen and ambient temps. how long do you think it would take the first rise to take at approx. 70 F room temp.

I ask because I probably will be doing the first half in my basement apartment and then going upstairs to finish in the kitchen. :D

I don't time it. I just go by how it looks. When it's puffed up (about doubled), stick your finger into the dough. The dough should not rise back up to fill the hole.

My bagels have so far come out limp and wrinkled. I might boil them too long. I do love bagels, cream cheese , and lox for brekky!

FqHmGJB.jpg

Here's my recipe for onion bagels. I've been making this recipe for 12-15 years with great success. I don't compare them to New York bagels or Montreal bagels. I was unsatisfied with the bagels I got from Einstein Brothers and Finagel a Bagel so I decided to make my own.

ONION BAGELS

465 Gr Warm Tap Water
1 Pkg Active Dry Yeast
1 Tb Sugar
735 Gr Bread Flour
2 tsp Kosher Salt
¼ C Toasted Onion Flakes
1½ tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Oil
1 Tb Sugar

.. snipped ...

Andy, when you say toasted Onion flakes, is it that you toast some Onion Flakes yourself for this recipe or is there such a thing in the Spice aisle at the local supermarket?

Follow up question please:
About how long would you say it takes, start to finish, for this recipe?

Last edited:
Andy, when you say toasted Onion flakes, is it that you toast some Onion Flakes yourself for this recipe or is there such a thing in the Spice aisle at the local supermarket?

Follow up question please:
About how long would you say it takes, start to finish, for this recipe?

I buy toasted onion flakes from Penzeys. I have used regular onion flakes and toasted them in a dry skillet.

It takes me 4 hours more or less from start to wrapping them for the freezer.

Back
Top Bottom