Too much yeast - dough disaster looms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I need some advice. I was making bread earlier and added yeast twice (doorbell and phone....). Now what? The dough is rising at an alarming rate and has already overgrown the bowl, tipping itself out onto the counter like some puffy, yeast driven alien.

Can this be salvaged?
Will an extra rise help?
Any ideas?

Deflate dough. Put half in a second bowl and refrigerate. Add 1/2 of original recipe's flour and water to the remaining outside the fridge dough ; then knead rise / rest and bake according to your recipe. Make another batch tomorrow using the refrigerated dough supplemented with water and flour as done with the previous days dough. You may find the second batch to be tastier than the first.

I have already divided dough and half is in fridge. Unfortunately I have a limited amount of flour on hand and so can't really add enough to the dinner loaf (for tonight) to make a big difference. Will an extra rise help this situation?

Janet anytime I've had an over-rise I just punch it down and let it rise again. I love a slow rise bread, you will get better flavor. I put it in a cool room and let it do it's thing, almost like a mild sourdoug flavor. I'd not worry about extra flour if you don't have it maybe just a little but over risen dough for me get's the punch down and then I cross my fingers
kadesma;)

Last edited:
Yeah, that what I'd say too. The only problem you might get the yeasty (is it a word?) taste in the end, but I am not even really sure about that.

The bread is in the oven. It had an extra rise, made into a nice loaf, but in the oven it turned all alien again.

The loaf is split badly and sort of looks like a bread autopsy. Maybe it'll taste good....:ermm:

But I think pictures would help immensely in the postmortem as we dissect the alien creature. We might even learn something.

I did that with a pizza dough once. The yeast was past it's due date, so I added two instead of one. I felt like Lucille Ball (I love Lucy) when she put in too much yeast and it blew the door off the oven.

I feel an episode of "I Love Lucy" coming on here. LOL TOO MUCH YEAST!

Oh man, I don't know what to expect now but the visions of that old I Love Lucy show is coming into my head when she puts too much yeast and the bread gets so big that the oven door opens while baking. LOL

I'm making crusty Italian bread with roasted garlic. I put 3 cups of flour but really mis-read the yeast. I put 2.5 Tablespoons instead of teaspoons of yeast. I've punched it down 2x already. My kitchen smells wonderful, but I might just die laughing and drowning in tears come time to bake. :LOL:

This old thread reminded me about Bill. Has anybody ever heard what happened with him? He just disappear one day.

Back
Top Bottom