An Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Think these must come from the 50's era of cocktail parties, lol but I first had them just last year. Even people who confess they don't like olives seem to gobble these up.;):yum:

Olive Cheese Melts

1 cup ripe olives, chopped - I recommend canned and not deli (experience talking here - they were waaay too salty, but suit yourself)
1/3 cup scallions, chopped
1.5 cups old cheddar, grated (I go for almost 2 cups)
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 tsp curry powder
8 English Muffins, split

Mix first 5 ingredients together, spread on split Muffins, cut in 1/4's.
Place on cookie sheet. At this point you can either pop them in the freezer and then transfer to a bag or bake at 400 for 10 min.

I bag them 8 to a sandwich bag so as to take what I need. Cooking from frozen is about the same timing as fresh. You know your oven.

Many recipes you see on the internet call for 1/4 or 1/2 tsp salt... DON'T! olives and cheese are plenty salty enough.

Bottled stuffed green olives?

oops NO NO NO

Black Ripe Olives!!!

although I did once add a handful of manzilla olives (pimento stuffed green) but didn't find they added to the recipe. and it was really because I mis-read the recipe - thought the green onions said green olives.... my bad... :mrgreen:

Think these must come from the 50's era of cocktail parties, lol

That totally sounds like 50's cocktail party food to me. Not that there is a thing wrong with that.

Though when there is it is pretty spectacular. have you seen James Lileks' 'Gallery of Regrettable Food'? It is worth looking at.

http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/

Lox is an excellent replacement for canadian bacon in a eggs benedict recipe. Seitan also seems to work out pretty well for me, though with the eggs it is vegetarian and not vegan.

Cheers,

TBS

Yeah I seen the gallery of regrettable food, most people dont know that bananas in the 50:ties doesn't taste like bananas now. The clone of banana died out , it was sweeter more banana flavoured banana, that is also why banana candy doesnt taste like real bananas, it taste more like the extinct one.

oops NO NO NO

Black Ripe Olives!!!

although I did once add a handful of manzilla olives (pimento stuffed green) but didn't find they added to the recipe. and it was really because I mis-read the recipe - thought the green onions said green olives.... my bad... :mrgreen:

I am thinking Calamata oil cured olives. I get the ones that I have to pit myself. (I do have a pitter.) :angel:

Looking good, I support eggs Benedict one of my favorites, though as Beloved Wife is Jewish and doesn't eat pork, I am always casting about for better and brighter alternatives to Canadian bacon.

Several restaurants in my area do eggs Benedict with crab cakes instead of Canadian bacon :yum:

Several restaurants in my area do eggs Benedict with crab cakes instead of Canadian bacon :yum:

Yeppers, that is solid theory for eggs benny as well. We had some lovely versions of that classic with crab when down in Virginia on Chincoteague Island. Crab is cheap and plentiful there.

Now up here in PA, I do have a problem, which is mainly my wife is kind of a crab snob, coming from Maryland. And shellfish ain't Kosher, I got a negotiated truce on the issue with her, based mainly on how much she likes crab cakes. I haven't yet convinced her that canned crab, or, Horror I know, imitation crab meat, might be acceptable with eggs for an Egg benedict type breakfast dish.

I'm cool with it, on a breakfast dish with holandaise, eggs, and chives, a lot of flavors going on and all... And I wouldn't use canned or imitation in a crabcake that is just wrong. She feels like if we break Kosher, we might as well use quality stuff, which I can't argue with that much.

We do have a friend in Vermont that raises his own pigs, and makes the most wonderful pork bellies and bacon, maple smoked even, but that is off the table. I am lucky to get the shellfish ;)

I have a good salad recipe with imitation crab meat. Crabby salad. Have I posted that? I'll have to check my posting history.

Cheers,

TBS

Have you ever thought of substituting crab meat for lobster and making a crab meat roll? Or even shrimp? :angel:

I am thinking Calamata oil cured olives. I get the ones that I have to pit myself. (I do have a pitter.) :angel:

Addie, please... no... that is why I switched to canned. It was waay too strong.

On the other hand perhaps if you reduced the quantity of olives from 1 cup to 1/2 cup perhaps it would work.
I just made a batch but next time I do I will remember to try it with the Deli olives again... but halved! :LOL:

Thank you all for the compliments. I'll take your suggestions on ways to use these muffins.

Beautiful muffins Andy! They look so good.

Craig used to make a crab melt topping with cheddar cheese, mayo and I don't know what else, for English muffins and then broil until the topping is just at golden brown

Back
Top Bottom