Cornbread Supreme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
A friend gave this to me and I hope she won't mind me sharing it. Seems selfish to keep it from others. We enjoyed it so much. I do hope some in here try this.

3 packages Jiffy cornbread mix
3 eggs
1 stick plus 1/2 stick soft butter
1 can cream corn
1 can [drained] whole kernel corn
*1 cup sour cream

Mix all together until blended but not over blended. Preheat oven 325-350 depends on your oven and place mix in 9x13 non greased dish. Bake 55 minutes using 'clean' toothpick method.
*I didn't have any sour cream, I thought I did but didn't, I did have plain yogurt though and used it, I'm thinking same end results.:ermm:

This looks good--I will definitely have to try it. I did have a little trouble reading the light-colored print though.

:) Barbara

kimbaby said:
sounds like what what us southren folks call corn fritters :)
and they are delicious.....
I thought corn fritters were deep fried balls of batter ?

Then what is the difference between a loaf of corn bread and fritters?

according to wikipedia fritters are what I thought they were
Fritter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word fritter comes from the Latin frictura ("frying") by way of Old French and Middle English. It is used to refer to a number of fried foods.
In British fish and chip shops, the fish and chips can be accompanied by optional extras and many of these are called fritters, which means a food item (such as a pineapple ring or an apple ring or some mushy peas) fried in batter. Hence: pineapple fritter, apple fritter, pea fritter, etc.
Small cakes made with a primary ingredient, mixed with batter and fried, are found in many American cuisines. "Corn fritters" and "apple fritters" are well known. Fritters may use regular flour, cornmeal, or a mix. New England clam cakes, Maryland crab cakes, and Philadelphia scrapple are essentially varieties of fritter.
A fritter is also a variety of holeless doughnut, with apple flavoured ones being the most popular.

Last edited:
Ironically, I've been looking for a cornbread recipe that's different. I think this is it. It sounds great and easy to make. Thanks for sharing.

~Ali

Poutine said:
Then what is the difference between a loaf of corn bread and fritters?

according to wikipedia fritters are what I thought they were
Fritter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word fritter comes from the Latin frictura ("frying") by way of Old French and Middle English. It is used to refer to a number of fried foods.
In British fish and chip shops, the fish and chips can be accompanied by optional extras and many of these are called fritters, which means a food item (such as a pineapple ring or an apple ring or some mushy peas) fried in batter. Hence: pineapple fritter, apple fritter, pea fritter, etc.
Small cakes made with a primary ingredient, mixed with batter and fried, are found in many American cuisines. "Corn fritters" and "apple fritters" are well known. Fritters may use regular flour, cornmeal, or a mix. New England clam cakes, Maryland crab cakes, and Philadelphia scrapple are essentially varieties of fritter.
A fritter is also a variety of holeless doughnut, with apple flavoured ones being the most popular.

Poutine, where I come from, cornbread is baked and fritters are fried.
I'm not sure I'm buyin' Wikipedia's definition to include clam cakes, crab cakes, and especially scrapple as fritters.

mudbug said:
Poutine, where I come from, cornbread is baked and fritters are fried.
I'm not sure I'm buyin' Wikipedia's definition to include clam cakes, crab cakes, and especially scrapple as fritters.
I always thought of fritters as deep fried things too (I originally said that fritters were deep fried balls but you said that those are hushpuppies not fritters).
What is the difference between a hushpuppy and a fritter?
There are so many terms that have different meanings in different places. My friend and I were talking about the yam vs sweet potato the other day - I can't keep this stuff straight. :wacko:

sorry for the confusion. We Americanskies are ornery that way.

Someone will probably come along and give you more nuanced interpretations than me, but anyway........

I suppose you could call hushpuppies a fritter, but they are more "shaped", if that makes sense. "Fritters", on the other hand, can be a little more free-form, with little crusty greasy edges that you just love to bite off before you dig in to the main event.

I know there's supposed to be a difference betw. yams and sweet potatoes, but to me they taste the same and I prepare them the same way. I wouldn't lose any sleep over trying to differentiate.

Does this help?

Thanks mudbug that helps a lot!
(I will just think of hushpuppies and fritters and practically the same thing;))

My fritters have more corn than my hush puppies...but that's just me. I use a small can of creamed corn in my hush puppies (and a little onion & bell pepper, very finely chopped). If I make fritters, I use way more corn, no onion or pepper.

I would tend to agree with you, aharley1. Hush puppies are usually pretty much "plain", but fritters are not. You don't often hear of apple hush puppies, for instance, but plenty of apple fritters out there.

Poutine said:
...My friend and I were talking about the yam vs sweet potato the other day - I can't keep this stuff straight. :wacko:

There are two basic kinds of sweet potato, white and orange. Folks call the orange sweet potato a yam but it is actually a sweet potato.

Real yams are a much bigger item - up to a couple of feet long and are seldom found in the USA.

The story goes that farmers in Mississippi developed the orange sweet potato and chose to call them yams as a means of differentiating them from the white sweet potato. Looks like it worked!

Poutine,its just a sOuthern thing... I am sure most other folks have different terms/names for allot of stuff... :)

Back
Top Bottom