"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Sous Chef
 
Silversage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 863
I have their cookbook, and have made that recipe. After you either thaw or microwave the bananas, you end up with at least 3/4 cup of liquid. Then you reduce it to a scant 1/4 cup. If you didn't reduce it, then you have at least 1/2 cup too much liquid.

It's actually a very good recipe.
__________________

__________________
In our house, dog hair is a condiment!
OMG! I decided to blog!
Silversage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoehope View Post
I did not pay attention if they reduced the liquid. It probably makes a difference. I also will do what you said which is not use more liquid than is necessary.

Check your PMs
__________________

__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Check your PMs
Thanks Andy and Medtran for your research! I may try again. :)



Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I have their cookbook, and have made that recipe. After you either thaw or microwave the bananas, you end up with at least 3/4 cup of liquid. Then you reduce it to a scant 1/4 cup. If you didn't reduce it, then you have at least 1/2 cup too much liquid.

It's actually a very good recipe.
It looked like an amazing recipe on TV. I'll reduce the liquid accordingly next time. I just have to muster up the courage to do it again and go find some old bananas!
__________________
jamoehope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 71
i been making banana bread using the following recepie by Betty Crocker

i follow the recepie closely but few things, i add 1/2 cup of dried sweet cranberry and i used 1/2 the sugar suggested in the recepie, also if you don't have the buttermilk onhand i use vanilla flavored yogurt instead. its very good recepie , my family loves it!

Banana Bread Recipe from Betty Crocker
__________________
mommyNY2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bakewell UK
Posts: 14
We made this banana bread recipe in the shop and it tasted great and the customers who tried were impressed too. Hope you are.
__________________
thePanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Sous Chef
 
MostlyWater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 959
my banana bread doesn't always turn out either. i've been making a version with a cake mix and it's always perfect. pm me if you want it.
__________________
IF ONLY 1/3 OF YOUR CLOTHES ARE A MISTAKE, YOU’RE AHEAD OF THE GAME.
NORA EPHRON
MostlyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,888
I use the banana bread recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook that I have had forever, and have never had a problem, regardless of whether I make them as one big loaf, eight small loaves (I have a pan for that. See below), or as muffins.

Banana Nut Bread
from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, Eleventh Edition


Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup nut meats
Method:
Mix in a bowl 3 ripe bananas, well mashed, and 2 eggs, beaten until light. Sift together 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add to the first mixture. Add 1/2 cup nut meats, chopped. Stir well. Put in a buttered loaf pan 9 by 5 inches. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I use the banana bread recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook that I have had forever, and have never had a problem, regardless of whether I make them as one big loaf, eight small loaves (I have a pan for that. See below), or as muffins.

Banana Nut Bread
from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, Eleventh Edition


Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup nut meats
Method:
Mix in a bowl 3 ripe bananas, well mashed, and 2 eggs, beaten until light. Sift together 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add to the first mixture. Add 1/2 cup nut meats, chopped. Stir well. Put in a buttered loaf pan 9 by 5 inches. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
hi sir, i was getting ready to make a loaf of your banana nut bread. i noticed in the list of ingredients, there is no shortening mentioned--would you please check to see if that might have been omitted? thanks.:)
__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,335
Annual membership is around $30. I don't sub to any magazines. We don't eat out, we don't go to movies, we don't drive new cars. I curl in the winter, and that's it. I figure I can afford $30/year to access previous seasons' recipes. Current season are supposed to be available free.
__________________
I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
http://www.discusscooking.com/forums...les-76125.html
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
Executive Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sir Francis Drake Hotel
Posts: 4,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
hi sir, i was getting ready to make a loaf of your banana nut bread. i noticed in the list of ingredients, there is no shortening mentioned--would you please check to see if that might have been omitted? thanks.:)
Double checked (I have two copies of the Fanny Farmer cook book, one hard cover and one paperback) and there is no shortening, or lengthening. I've been using that exact recipe for over 30 years without fail.
__________________

__________________
Life is much more manageable when thought of as a scavenger hunt as opposed to a surprise party - Jimmy Buffett
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
banana, bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.