"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 04-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Sous Chef

I have their cookbook, and have made that recipe. After you either thaw or microwave the bananas, you end up with at least 3/4 cup of liquid. Then you reduce it to a scant 1/4 cup. If you didn't reduce it, then you have at least 1/2 cup too much liquid.

It's actually a very good recipe.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoehope View Post
I did not pay attention if they reduced the liquid. It probably makes a difference. I also will do what you said which is not use more liquid than is necessary.

Check your PMs

Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Check your PMs
Thanks Andy and Medtran for your research! I may try again. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silversage View Post
I have their cookbook, and have made that recipe. After you either thaw or microwave the bananas, you end up with at least 3/4 cup of liquid. Then you reduce it to a scant 1/4 cup. If you didn't reduce it, then you have at least 1/2 cup too much liquid.

It's actually a very good recipe.
It looked like an amazing recipe on TV. I'll reduce the liquid accordingly next time. I just have to muster up the courage to do it again and go find some old bananas!
Old 05-08-2011, 09:31 PM   #14
Cook

i been making banana bread using the following recepie by Betty Crocker

i follow the recepie closely but few things, i add 1/2 cup of dried sweet cranberry and i used 1/2 the sugar suggested in the recepie, also if you don't have the buttermilk onhand i use vanilla flavored yogurt instead. its very good recepie , my family loves it!

Banana Bread Recipe from Betty Crocker
Old 05-10-2011, 06:31 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

We made this banana bread recipe in the shop and it tasted great and the customers who tried were impressed too. Hope you are.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Sous Chef

my banana bread doesn't always turn out either. i've been making a version with a cake mix and it's always perfect. pm me if you want it.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:12 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I use the banana bread recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook that I have had forever, and have never had a problem, regardless of whether I make them as one big loaf, eight small loaves (I have a pan for that. See below), or as muffins.

Banana Nut Bread
from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, Eleventh Edition

Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup nut meats
Method:
Mix in a bowl 3 ripe bananas, well mashed, and 2 eggs, beaten until light. Sift together 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add to the first mixture. Add 1/2 cup nut meats, chopped. Stir well. Put in a buttered loaf pan 9 by 5 inches. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:41 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
I use the banana bread recipe from the Fanny Farmer cookbook that I have had forever, and have never had a problem, regardless of whether I make them as one big loaf, eight small loaves (I have a pan for that. See below), or as muffins.

Banana Nut Bread
from The Fannie Farmer Cookbook, Eleventh Edition

Ingredients:
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup nut meats
Method:
Mix in a bowl 3 ripe bananas, well mashed, and 2 eggs, beaten until light. Sift together 2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Add to the first mixture. Add 1/2 cup nut meats, chopped. Stir well. Put in a buttered loaf pan 9 by 5 inches. Bake 1 hour at 350 degrees.
hi sir, i was getting ready to make a loaf of your banana nut bread. i noticed in the list of ingredients, there is no shortening mentioned--would you please check to see if that might have been omitted? thanks.:)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Annual membership is around $30. I don't sub to any magazines. We don't eat out, we don't go to movies, we don't drive new cars. I curl in the winter, and that's it. I figure I can afford $30/year to access previous seasons' recipes. Current season are supposed to be available free.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
hi sir, i was getting ready to make a loaf of your banana nut bread. i noticed in the list of ingredients, there is no shortening mentioned--would you please check to see if that might have been omitted? thanks.:)
Double checked (I have two copies of the Fanny Farmer cook book, one hard cover and one paperback) and there is no shortening, or lengthening. I've been using that exact recipe for over 30 years without fail.

Tags
banana, bread