"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 04-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Failed banana bread

I attempted to make this banana bread from this link but the change I made was what I learned from an America's Test Kitchen episode on banana bread. I used 5 bananas instead of 3 and I microwaved the bananas to soften them and make a banana liquid to add to the bread.

My bread never finished cooking. After the hour was done the bread was very wet in the middle. I cooked the bread another 20 minutes and the top became burnt while the middle was still unfinished. What did I do wrong?

Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
Head Chef

Sounds like your batter was too wet.. too many bananas and I wouldn't liquify them.. mash them. I have a banana bread recipe on the site, let me grab it..

Amazing Moist Low Fat Banana Bread

I would also check the temp of your oven? Do you bake often?
There are little oven thermometers that just sit inside your oven, and can tell you if your oven is off. Alot of them are off by a few degrees.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Why didn't you just make the ATK recipe?
Old 04-20-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
Sounds like your batter was too wet.. too many bananas and I wouldn't liquify them.. mash them. I have a banana bread recipe on the site, let me grab it..

Amazing Moist Low Fat Banana Bread
Thanks for the recipe. I'll try it out next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I would also check the temp of your oven? Do you bake often?
There are little oven thermometers that just sit inside your oven, and can tell you if your oven is off. Alot of them are off by a few degrees.
I have a thermometer in the oven to make sure the degrees are correct. And I do NOT bake often... :( I need more experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Why didn't you just make the ATK recipe?
You have to pay to see the ATK recipe so I tried to find another recipe not to pay. I modified the recipe I used according to the recipe I saw on the TV show which said to use a lot of bananas and excess water from microwaving.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

i have never reduced the bananas to a liquid. i think that was your problem. depends on the size of the bananas whether or not you could add any more than the recipe calls for. but i am sure it was the cooking them.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i have never reduced the bananas to a liquid. i think that was your problem. depends on the size of the bananas whether or not you could add any more than the recipe calls for. but i am sure it was the cooking them.
I should clarify I didn't reduce the bananas completely to a liquid, just partly. On the TV show the hosts said to microwave the bananas 5 minutes to create a liquid to add to the bread. It was supposed to increase the banana flavor. I tried the liquid and it was good!
Old 04-21-2011, 12:36 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoehope View Post
I should clarify I didn't reduce the bananas completely to a liquid, just partly. On the TV show the hosts said to microwave the bananas 5 minutes to create a liquid to add to the bread. It was supposed to increase the banana flavor. I tried the liquid and it was good!
Didn't they reduce the liquid?

I use defrosted, frozen bananas. They lose liquid in the freezer and shrink, so when I measure my banana mush, it usually takes 5 frozen bananas to equal 2-3 fresh ones, by volume.

Next time I make banana bread I will reduce and use the banana liquid. I will make sure I don't have more liquid than the recipe calls for.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Didn't they reduce the liquid?

Next time I make banana bread I will reduce and use the banana liquid. I will make sure I don't have more liquid than the recipe calls for.
I did not pay attention if they reduced the liquid. It probably makes a difference. I also will do what you said which is not use more liquid than is necessary.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:49 AM   #9
Head Chef

Yes they did reduce the liquid, then cooled it. Don't remember the amount they reduced to though. We happened to watch that episode either last weekend or the weekend before.

Are you sure you have to pay to get the recipe? I've looked up some of their recipes in the past and all you had to do was join their group.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #10
Head Chef

Ah, I see now you get a 14-day free trial and then I guess you have to pay, didn't go that far since I signed up with them long ago.

But I found it on a blog

http://food4wibowo.blogspot.com/2011...te-banana.html

Tags
banana, bread