Fermented corn bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScratchThat

Assistant Cook
I read in a recent cookbook relating Southern food traditions about some folks who let their cornmeal mush sit for a few days to ferment before baking it into cornbread. Unfortunately, there was no recipe attached to this method of cornbread. Since I am a fan of fermented foods and have my own sourdough culture, I was intrigued by cornbread made in this fashion. Has anyone ever tried it before?

There is a long history of using fermented grains in many cultures. As it turns out, it's a pretty good idea. The human digestive system can have trouble digesting most whole grains. By fermenting them, the grains natural resistance to digestion is broken down and the vitamin content can actually go up.

In Africa they make a corn bread from fermented meal as they also do in Mexico. They also use the fermented corn to make a drink, non alcoholic.

I can't find any recipes but searching with those parameters could help.

I think I will stick with regular ole cornbread, and Kentucky Bourbon for my fermented grain.;)

I think lots of folks have a negative reaction when presented with a new kind of fermented food. The line between "ripe" and "spoiled" is a thin one that moves according to culture. One type of fermented food (bread, whiskey, chocolate, cheese) is acceptable while others (kim chee, miso, kefir, and yes, fermented cornmeal) seem strange and rotten. All I want to encourage you to do is to try more things because enjoying new foods enhances your life. And yes, I'm a Son of the South, too.

ScratchThat said:
I think lots of folks have a negative reaction when presented with a new kind of fermented food

Not a negative reaction at all! Just a tongue-in-cheek comment. ;)

I can't find a recipe to try, so if you come up with one, I will give it a whirl!!
I do enjoy trying new things from time to time!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!!

Not a negative reaction at all! Just a tongue-in-cheek comment. ;)

Oh, no problem. I think that provenciality is what keeps humans from enjoying life more, so any criticism on my part was borne solely from my desire to see you enjoy life more, that's all. Life's too short to eat subtly-flavored foods!

If you do a little reading, people that have a hard time digesting corn, whole grain wheats etc. that fermenting the grain will solve many of those problems.

It was very interesting reading and it makes a lot of sense. Most animals that feed on grains, cows etc. have more than one stomach. Their system has the time to break the grains down. We don't. Often the grains will just march through the digestive track whole.. like corn on the cob.

I think you could try putting a little yeast in with some corn meal and water and let it set until it blooms a bit. Mix up your corn bread batter and see what happens--could be really light and tasty. I don't see how it could hurt you in any way.

I deeply appreciate your concern for my well being! I am happy to report that I am having a ball eating a wide range of foods, from many different cuisines including those that are subtly, and delicately flavored!

Have a great day & Enjoy!

If it's sitting out "for a few days", then it's likely done more than just ferment. Your probably looking at a southern cornbread sourdough in that situation. ;)

Back
Top Bottom