"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 03-16-2014, 04:05 AM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I keep a tub of this stuff in the fridge. It works fine in place of liquid buttermilk. SACO Foods: Cultured Buttermilk
+1. Unless I have enough recipes lined up to be sure I use an entire quart I rarely buy the liquid kind. With the Buttermilk powder in the fridge I know I always have something doable on hand.

Old 03-16-2014, 04:10 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was really surprised when people started talking about Aldi here....
And if you buy something you just can't eat, they do have a money-back guarantee. We've had a couple things we wouldn't buy again, but we've never had anything so bad that we were inclined to toss it. I have to say over the years (first started to shop Aldi in the late 1980s) the quality of the foods they offer has improved dramatically.

Old 03-16-2014, 11:17 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I keep a tub of this stuff in the fridge. It works fine in place of liquid buttermilk. SACO Foods: Cultured Buttermilk
Thanks for mentioning that, Andy I'll have to look for it. I've been wanting to make buttermilk biscuits, but didn't want to end up wasting any leftovers.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Thanks for mentioning that, Andy I'll have to look for it. I've been wanting to make buttermilk biscuits, but didn't want to end up wasting any leftovers.
Top shelf in the baking aisle...at least around here.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:15 PM   #15
Senior Cook

My soda bread recipe calls for 2 cups of buttermilk. I always buy a quart and make two loaves of bread --- no wasted buttermilk. My local grocery store also sells buttermilk in pints (2 cups). I think you can google how to make buttermilk from sweet milk and vinegar or like someone posted above, use yogurt or sour cream.
Old 03-16-2014, 12:32 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Put two tablespoons of white vinegar into a 1 cup liquid measure and fill to 1 cup with milk (fat percentage doesn't really matter). In 5 minutes, it's buttermilk.

If I shop at my local smaller faster warehouse store, 1 quart of buttermilk is $2.39 and a 1/2 gallon is $2.79. Guess which one I buy?

I have a wonderful recipe for Saint Patrick's Day soda bread. It is GREEN!

Tart Apple Irish Soda Bread

Ingredients:
  • 3 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1˝ tsp baking soda
  • 1˝ tsp salt
  • 1 cup low fat buttermilk, divided
  • 1 Pipin or Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and diced
  • ˝ cup Amoretti Premium Tart Apple Syrup
Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 375°F.

In a large bowl, stir dry ingredients together with a whisk. Make a well in the center and add 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Combine dry ingredients and buttermilk with a fork, gradually adding more of the remaining buttermilk until a soft dough is formed. Fold in the diced apple and the Amoretti Premium Tart Apple Syrup just until blended.

Knead the dough lightly on a floured surface for 1 minute. Form into a slightly flattened circle. Place the loaf on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. With a sharp knife, cut a 1/2-inch deep X in the top of the loaf and bake the soda bread in a 375°F oven for 40 to 45 minutes. The bread is done when it is golden and sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.

Old 03-16-2014, 01:09 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Oh dear. I missed where it says on the tub "refrigerate after opening" , mine sits atop the fridge. I THINK it's still good.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

The other reason I avoid buying buttermilk is that I've read that most buttermilk sold in grocery stores is really cultured milk and not true buttermilk. Also, adding an acid to milk simulates buttermilk by activating the leavened, but it doesn't taste like buttermilk. And I want the flavor.

I might just buy some whole milk and make my own butter and buttermilk in the food processor.
Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The other reason I avoid buying buttermilk is that I've read that most buttermilk sold in grocery stores is really cultured milk and not true buttermilk. Also, adding an acid to milk simulates buttermilk by activating the leavened, but it doesn't taste like buttermilk. And I want the flavor.

I might just buy some whole milk and make my own butter and buttermilk in the food processor.
Yeah, it's cultured "buttermilk". I feel cheated. They should give a different name.
Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

#1 - Wish we had an Aldi's.

#2 - Can't keep buttermilk in the house. My husband drinks it all. I have some set aside for soda bread tomorrow, he's been forbidden to touch it until I make the bread. If I have it, I use it for biscuits, to soak chicken in, make ranch dressing and cole slaw with...but it's always gone!

#3 -I've done the vinegar or lemon juice in regular milk to simulate buttermilk, and it may be psychosomatic, but it just don't taste or act the same to me in cooking.

Tags
bread, recipe