"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Quick Breads, Muffins & Biscuits

Old 06-23-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Post Vidalia Onion Cornbread

Paula Deen's Vidalia Onion Cornbread from Southern Living, JANUARY 2006

Old 06-24-2006, 12:25 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I've made this many times, but instead of the cornbread mix, I use self-rising corn meal. I haven't used the dill weed but will definitely do that next time. I'm sure that will be a great addition. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2006, 04:00 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Your welcome! Had to remove the recipe because of the rules about posting recipes from web sites. Sorry! I forgot about the rule. If you didn't copy the recipe...you can google it and it will come up for you.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:02 PM   #4
Executive Chef

BD - You can post the link to a recipe, just not the whole recipe - so - can you share?
Old 06-25-2006, 08:17 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Thanks...

Thanks Michael...didn't see the last request until just now...I thought I added the web site, but missed this one.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:23 AM   #6
Master Chef

I would be curious to know what "cornbread mix" Paula was using. Some "cooking books" don't allow brand names .... some recipe writers just "assume" everyone will know what they are using. In this case - if I had to guess ... I would try Martha White yellow cornbread mix.

As for the onions ... if you can't find Vidalia's (only grown in or around Vidalia, Georgia) - try Texas SpringSweet or Texas 1015 SuperSweet - or even Jumbo 1015's (the Jumbo's are really great for onion rings). These onions are low in sulphur and thus taste sweeter. But, even if you can't find any of these sweet beauties, small yellow onions will work in a pinch.
Old 06-26-2006, 06:10 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Don't forget St Augustine Sweets and Walla Walla's. They are both delicious in anything!
Old 06-26-2006, 07:54 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Once an onion is cooked it is just an onion--vidalia or not. It is only raw that they are "sweet".

And I don't "get" the prohibition against printing a recipe. A recipe cannot be copyrighted. The only reason a recipe might be copyrighted if if there is extensive explanation of the technique to fix it, or a history or story of the recipe--a "signature" dish, if you will.
Old 06-26-2006, 12:39 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Michael, I don't remember if the Vidalia cornbread was what she was making or not, but she did use the little blue box (in a jif)since I can't say the name in one recipe for cornbread. She makes one using okra and also one using cracklings so it could have been one of those. I don't like either of the last and I don't like the in a jif mix. It has too much sugar for me. I don't like my cornbread to be confused with cake.