"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Unleavened Breads

Old 07-24-2006, 12:47 PM   #1
Head Chef

First try making tortillas

In another thread skilletlicker posted a recipe for flour tortillas (link below). I then used the the tortillas for quesadillas with some leftover grilled chicken (nevermind that I used teriyaki marinade for the chicken!). The tortillas turned out ok, but I think I used too much flour when rolling them out. Also they were rather brittle. Maybe I need to brush them after cooking with butter or oil like after baking bread. Or put them in plastic bags like was suggested by skilletlicker. That would retain some the moisture too.

BTW, the quesadillas were very good. I tried to make guacamole, but my avocado was underipe.

In the end though, my homemade tortillas were not much if any better than the store bought variety. Maybe I need to tweak the recipe some.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Cook

When I make tortillas, I put them in a large plastic bag covered with a damp towel. This keeps them plyable. My family prefers the homemade as they seem to be more tender than the store bought. If you want I can post the recipe.

Old 07-24-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
Head Chef

Thanks for the tip and yes, please post the recipe. Thanks, Roger.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:54 PM   #4
Master Chef

Yes, please post it-----where I live overseas you can't find them. I have a very low fat recipe that's good but I'm always ready for others as well.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaCook
When I make tortillas, I put them in a large plastic bag covered with a damp towel. This keeps them plyable. My family prefers the homemade as they seem to be more tender than the store bought. If you want I can post the recipe.
i too would like the recipe when i tried to make mine there were not good
at all. but freshly made tortillas are great i would love to learn how
to make them
Old 07-24-2006, 02:09 PM   #6
Head Chef

I remember the fresh made tortillas in San Antonio. Mmm...good. Mine were nowhere near that good!
Old 07-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook

The recipe is from Barbara Hansen's Mexican Cookery book.
Flour Tortillas
2 C. AP flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 C. lard
About 1/2 C. warm water
Additional lard
Additional flour
Combine 2 cups of flour and salt in a medium bowl. Rub in 1/4 cup lard with your fingers until evenly mixed. Gradually stir in enough water to make a soft dough. Divide dough into quaters. Divide each quarter into 3 equal pieces, making 12 pieces of dough in all. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. With your hands, smooth additional lard over each ball to coat generously. Place balls in a medium bowl; cover with a dry cloth towel. Let stand at least 15 minutes. Preheat an ungreased griddle or heavy skillet over medium heat. Shape each ball into a flat round patty. Sprinkle both sides of patties with flour. On a lightly floured surface, roll out each patty to an 8 inch circle. Place each tortilla on preheated griddle. Cook until bubbles form on top and underside is flecked with brown. Turn tortilla and press down bubbles with towel. (I dock them with a fork.) Stack tortillas and cover with a dry towel. (I use a damp towel.) Serve immediately or wrap in foil and reheat briefly in oven before serving. Makes twelve 8 inch tortillas.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:25 PM   #8
Head Chef

DaCook,
That recipe looks slightly different than the one I used. I will give that one a go next time, unless I get a recipe that substitutes olive oil for the lard.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:17 PM   #9
Head Chef

vagriller, I use a recipe very close to the one DaCook posted; I don't rub extra lard over the balls and you can use a good vegetable shortening instead of the lard. Lard does work best though. An oil will just not work out when making tortilllas, believe me, I have tried. I've been making tortillas for about 40 years. When I make them, I wrap them in a dry tea towel (thin cotton dish towel), then put into a good heavy zip type bag and refrigerate. Damp ones tend to promote mold unless you only make what you are going to use right a way.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:39 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

A Mexican lady gave me her recipe for Flour Tortillas years ago but I haven't ever tried it but here it is:
3 cups Flour
2 tsps salt
5 Tbsps. Solid Shortening or Lard
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 cup warm water - you may not need all the water so add some to the above mixture until it comes to a ball , then it has enough water.
Pinch off a little of the mixture a little larger than a golf ball and roll with a rolling pin until thickness you want. This makes about 10 to 12 flour tortillas.