Cold Proofed NYT Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeV

Washing Up
Is anyone else using this technique for keeping NYT dough on hand for quick use? How do you like it? Anyone else making sourdough NYT this way?

I have been doing this for a few weeks, and find it invaluable if I want a whole loaf of NYT or a small loaf just for dinner or for a couple of dinner rolls made in the convection toaster oven. I think this is as revolutionary as when the original NYT recipe was made public. I make a double NYT recipe, let it raise on the counter for about 6-8 hours, then throw it in the fridge to finish rising. Super simple.

Never tried it with NYT , only with the artisan 5 min . day.

The only difference between them is that the 5 minute recipe calls for more yeast. Aside from that they are essentially the same recipes. Using the 5 minute recipe gets the dough ready for baking quickly, vs the slow development time for NYT dough. Once in the fridge they are the same.

Hi Joe - I have not tried this yet, but, it is on the calendar.

Small business kind of got the best of the last couple months and my bread baking has not been what it usually is. I am looking forward to some Challah and Pumpernickle over the winter, restarting my Rye sour culture and getting my sourdough starter going again.

The only difference between them is that the 5 minute recipe calls for more yeast. Aside from that they are essentially the same recipes. Using the 5 minute recipe gets the dough ready for baking quickly, vs the slow development time for NYT dough. Once in the fridge they are the same.

thanks , Joe.

i have not considered this with the NYTimes dough. I do use this technique with the 5 minute artisan recipe, and note a difference in the raising ability of the subsequent breads. I use the 6 to 6 1/2 cup flour recipe and use it for 3 pizza crusts, and the refrigerated crust dough comes out much flatter than the fresh baked crust.

I just made NYT bread yesterday for the first time. I am not sure what you mean by cold proofed. I am new at baking bread. Can you tell me what you do for the cold proofed method. Are you just storing the wet dough in the fridge until you need it?

21276-albums151-picture1426.jpg

Last edited:
I bet the smaller amount of yeast is what makes the NYT recipe taste better to some than the 5 minutes a day bread.

:) I think the five minute bread is better than the NYT bread if only because you can let it ferment up to two weeks. This last batch I made I mixed bread flour and all purpose flour and it turned out great after only two days in fridge.

I just made NYT bread yesterday for the first time. I am not sure what you mean by cold proofed. I am new at baking bread. Can you tell me what you do for the cold proofed method. Are you just storing the wet dough in the fridge until you need it?

The method I use is to allow the NYT dough with 1/4 t of yeast to raise on the counter for at least 6-8 hours, then I put it into a Tupperware container and put it into the fridge. As Pie Susan said, I think the flavor is better with the low amount of yeast. The dough will remain viable for up to 2 weeks, but the flavor will evolve into a sourdough type flavor after about 5-6 days. At day 10 the sourdough flavor is too strong for me, but some sourdough aficionados would probably salivate for this flavor.

For me, I like to use the dough within 7 days. The whole deal here is that you are not forced into baking bread if you don't have time. I make the dough before I go to bed, then put it in the fridge in the morning. I made a loaf today from dough I made 4 days ago, and we loved it. Give it a shot!

JoeV, thanks for the great description on cold proofing the NYT dough. I really like the time flexability and the fact that I could get a bread with the sourdough taste. I was wanting to make a sourdough starter but thought I needed to wait until summer when it is warmer to get a good starter. I will definately give the cold proofing a try. Thanks for the comment on my picture of the loaf of bread. We had it again the second day after putting it in the oven to crisp the crust some. It was great with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

JoeV, thanks for the great description on cold proofing the NYT dough. I really like the time flexability and the fact that I could get a bread with the sourdough taste. I was wanting to make a sourdough starter but thought I needed to wait until summer when it is warmer to get a good starter. I will definately give the cold proofing a try. Thanks for the comment on my picture of the loaf of bread. We had it again the second day after putting it in the oven to crisp the crust some. It was great with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

n2cookin,

There's no need to wait for summer. My starter recipe came from Make Your Own Sourdough Starter — Bread Making Videos and you can make it anytime of the year in your home. My starter lives in the fridge and gets fed about every 10 days or so when not in use. I also use it to make sourdough pancakes.

I'll be flying into Nashville in a couple of weeks on my way to fish with some friends in Tullahoma and to have a cooking binge. Five days of cooking, baking and fishing for tailwater trout with about a dozen friends.

n2cookin,

There's no need to wait for summer. My starter recipe came from Make Your Own Sourdough Starter — Bread Making Videos and you can make it anytime of the year in your home. My starter lives in the fridge and gets fed about every 10 days or so when not in use. I also use it to make sourdough pancakes.

I'll be flying into Nashville in a couple of weeks on my way to fish with some friends in Tullahoma and to have a cooking binge. Five days of cooking, baking and fishing for tailwater trout with about a dozen friends.

great recipe Joe.. amazing stuff you can do with this. Thanks for sharing

I have been making NYT recipe for a couple of years, and this method of reserving the dough in the refrigerator makes the dough available on demand instead of waiting until the next day. Joe, can you add things like flax seed or herbs de provence (sp?) and still refrigerate the dough, or does it need to be put in when you prepare the cold dough for baking.

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Joe, can you add things like flax seed or herbs de provence (sp?) and still refrigerate the dough, or does it need to be put in when you prepare the cold dough for baking.

I'm not Joe, but you can add your flax seeds or other variation ingredients in the initial mix.

I'm not Joe, but you can add your flax seeds or other variation ingredients in the initial mix.
Thank you Russ. I was not sure if different ingredients would deteriorate over the 2 week time frame in the refrigerator. I guess if I'm not sure of an ingredient, I can add it when I prepare the cold proofed dough for baking. Things like raisins, onions and dried fruits are what I'm particularly interested in.

I see lots of people have experience with this simple and wholesome bread. JoeV seems to be particularly innovative, as are a couple other posters. I don't make much besides the NYT when it comes to bread, but I would like to learn. Yeast makes me nervous.

FG

Back
Top Bottom