ISO - Sourdough Pancake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grannys42

Assistant Cook
I am new to this site so please bear with me if I sound like a dill. I keep reading about sourdough pancakes and I must confess that I have never heard of them. Is there a recipe somewhere that I might try them?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking

Welcome to DC. I have never heard of sourdough pancakes, but I make a mean sour cream pancake.:yum:

The best most 'sourdough' tasting pancakes are started the night before by pre-combining the sourdough, fresh flour, milk, and a couple of tablespoons of sugar to really activate the mixture.

The next morning, the oil, salt, and eggs are added to the mixture. Baking soda is sometimes an ingredient but if you want the real tang of sourdough, leave it out. Adding baking soda makes a lighter but not as tangy pancake. Instead, let this mixture sit for awhile and it will naturally bubble due to the activated sourdough.

I cook the pancakes on the hottest setting I can achieve - 400-425 degrees on a well-oiled electric griddle. You can't walk away from these pancakes because they bubble up and cook very fast so timing when they're flipped is critical.

The finished pancakes are light with large bubbles and a fantastic flavor tang.

I love sourdough pancakes and have made them a few times with the "discard" from feeding the starter.

I never have enough time to make them, but when I do, oh my they are good. I do not start from the night, maybe an hour in advance, it is enough and I make fresh (hm, what is it called ?) sponge/starter. I do have recipe, but cannot get to it now and will be out of town this coming up week. If you are still here and still want to know, I will have to type it up and then post it here.
Let me know.

Last edited:
Thanks all. Read the recipe from Food Network and I must say, I have never added yeast to my sourdough starter. Now, in one day, I have seen two recipes with it. It certainly is much easier than trying to find a warm place in the kitchen in winter. It's winter here in Australia.
Am loving this site, everyone is so helpful. Will try the pancakes on Wednesday. Off to mahjong tomorrow, so have an early start.
Grannys42

There's a recipe on the King Arthur flour site too I believe. Apparently sour dough makes pretty good waffles as well since there seem to be recipes aplenty.

I knew a lady in Post Falls Idaho who made sourdough pancakes that she raved about. She basically made a biga of sourdough and cooked it up as pancakes. They were so sour as to be nearly inedible.

My advise is to make your sourdough biga, and add it to a standard pancake batter, sans baking soda, or baking powder. Let it rest for ten minutes to allow the yeast to get working. Then make a test pancake and see if the flavor is right. Adjust as required.

If you want it, I can post my from scratch pancake recipe. Most everyone who has used it loves it.

For the standard batter to be mixed with sourdough, try this:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 tbs. sugar
1 large egg
3 tbs. cooking oil
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup sourdough biga

Whisk together the oil and egg. Whisk in the milk. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk together. Fold in 1/2 cup of the sourdough biga.
Let rest for 10 minutes. Cook and serve with honey, and cheddar cheese. bacon or sausage on the side wouldn't hurt either.

Just in case you haven't heard of biga, it's a yeast starter for making many Italian breads. Here's a link to a good biga recipe - Biga Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

There's a recipe on the King Arthur flour site too I believe. Apparently sour dough makes pretty good waffles as well since there seem to be recipes aplenty.

I also linked to that recipe in my post above. However, it calls for a commercial starter which may not be available in the poster's area.

Last edited:
Have mixed my pancake dough ready for the morning. If you don't hear from me soon, you know I made a mistake.

Sourdough pancakes

Good news, I'm alive and well. Tried the pancakes on hubby first (he survived) and now they have become our new favorite breakfast. Served them with golden syrup, a staple in Australia, yummy. Next problem will be a new wardrobe of clothes for summer. Así es la vida. :yum:

We used to make sourdough starter from the Field and Stream magazine. I might have the recipe still. Otherwise, my dad probably does. It was really good for everything from pancakes to San Francisco style sourdough bread....

Thanks CWS4322, would be interested in another recipe so I could try it and compare. When you locate it, could I have a copy please?

Así es la vida.

Back
Top Bottom