Pizza survey - Thin crust, or thick crust?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foodfan76

Assistant Cook
Just a fun survey i wanted to do, when it comes to pizza, do you prefer a thin NY style type crust, or a thick Sicilian or maybe Chicago type crust? Lets all be respectful of each others choices and not bash others for their choice as no answer is right or wrong on this.. its all due to someones culture and taste preferences :) That said, i grew up in NY, so my answer to this- Thin crust

Pizza survey- Thin crust, or thick crust?

Thin and traditional. And extra well done!

Thin crust here in the USA. Then there is really thin crust, almost cracker thin, that I had in Antibes, France.

I like a thin crust if its a plain cheese, nothing beats a 1/8th slice of a 20" thin crust cheese pie...
BUT if we are talking, sausage, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cheese then I want a 14-16" thick crust pizza well done with light sauce, maybe a side of sauce in a cup to dip the crust in...

To me thats the beauty about pizza, thin, thick, deep crust, with red, white, or no sauce, then pick a cheese or 3, then toppings, veggies, meat, fish, whatever you can think up, its one of them things that can fit everyone...

One of the best recipes I have for pizza that always impresses is stuffed eggplant parm.
Soak your eggplant and prep it like you would any breaded eggplant, I do a simple egg and italian breadcrumb dredge for the stuffed pizza. Fry it lightly and set it aside..

Get a 3-4" deep pan, roll your bottom dough a little thick and run it up over the sides like a pie crust.

Coat the bottom with sauce {lightly}, layer in the eggplant, low moisture mozz, and sauce between each layer, fill about 2/3ds the way... I put a final layer of thin sliced capicola on the top of the eggplant... Sometimes I will do slicing pepperoni and others no meat at all..

Put a top layer of dough over it all and crust it like a pie, I like to use my pastry wheel side ways, it makes nice ridged semi circles and seals very well, but a fork works too... Put a few slots in the top with your bread lame and bake it hot... You can brush it with egg, olive oil, put some pepper and red pep flakes over the top, what ever floats your boat.. Let it cool before cutting its a nice different take on the everyday pizza...

I apologise for every one of my posts turning into a recipe, I don't know why that keeps happening..

Pizza survey- Thin crust, or thick crust?

Quote:...I apologise for every one of my posts turning into a recipe, I don't know why that keeps happening...

Strangely enough, we like recipes here! :)

Last edited:
Sicilian-type crust for me but not that crackery thin commercial crust.
Imo, deep dish chicago style pizza doesn't really qualify as "pizza". It's more like a casserole than a pizza - not bad to eat - just not really pizza ;)

Last edited:
Looking at Steve's Meat-Za crust, I think a pan lined with sandwich pepperoni and crisped would be fantastic.

A lonely voice...

We like thicker pizza dough. Not particularly deep-dish thick (although we do like Uno's every now and then), but roughly the thickness of a slice of standard sandwich bread. We like it chewy, with enough edge to the crust to make it worth dipping in sauce.

Then there is the infamous "Pizza Cake". We were moving from Apartment 1 to Apartment 2 and had a number of friends helping. Kathy decided her way of helping would be to bake a big sheet pizza at the new place. Except she hadn't had enough time to let the Rhodes dough do its rise before you could get it flat. :ermm: Now THAT was one thick pizza! :ohmy: Poor dear. She never made pizza with Rhodes dough again. :LOL:

I just have to try this this weekend, At first I thought you wer talking about the epic meal time video of the meat pizza, they used sausage crust beef base, it was redonculous.... its on youtube, epic meal times videos are kind of useless but entertaining {because they are so stupid}...

I have some wild turkey breasts {about 6 lbs}, I could run through the grinder, then debone a chicken and run that though, then mix with a dough hook, some egg, poultry seasonings, and cornmeal {as a binder} for a bit healthier version of the meatza recipe???

I have ran poultry through the meat grinder a bunch of times {Need to clean it super well after} for my chicken salad recipe... {I am trying not to add a recipe to every post I make so I will refrain, but it is delicious, it uses sweet relish and brown sugar}...

I have some wild turkey breasts {about 6 lbs}, I could run through the grinder, then debone a chicken and run that though, then mix with a dough hook, some egg, poultry seasonings, and cornmeal {as a binder} for a bit healthier version of the meatza recipe???
I guess that depends on how you define healthy. Me... I'm trying to up my fat intake.

You can change it up however you like, but it won't be the same. Personally, I always think it's a good idea to try a recipe as written the first time.

I guess that depends on how you define healthy. Me... I'm trying to up my fat intake.

You can change it up however you like, but it won't be the same. Personally, I always think it's a good idea to try a recipe as written the first time.

Oh yeah, I am going to make one exactly how the recipe states, but I have been thinking about what to do with that turkey, I was going to brine it and bacon wrap it, then cook it with a cornbread stuffing, but thats what I do everytime. My oldest son is having a sleep over this weekend {last weekend was my youngest sons sleep over, and they ate 7 pizzas} so I am sure I will need a lot of food...

I love real New York pizza, as in the kind you get in NYC.

That's hard to find outside of NY.

Since my family is from Chicago I love a real deep dish pizza, Chicago-style.

I even like Greek style pizza!!

The only pizza I won't eat is the chain restaurant kind like papa whatever's. Luckily there are mom and pop places everywhere in my neighborhood

Thin crust. My ideal pizza is super thin crust, olive oil, mozzarella, and veggies. I can go for a marinara sauce with meat pizza now and then, but it isn't my fave.

Back
Top Bottom