"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Pizza & Focaccia

Old 01-27-2016, 08:31 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Plain or self-rising?

Hi I have never made a Pizza before. I have downloaded a few recipes and I have a few questions about it.

1) Strong white flour + fast action dried yeast versus self raising flour

2) Use of a pizza dish or without. Professionals seem to do without.

3) Will the topping in the middle prevent rising as it is nicer to have a raised side.

Thanks.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:39 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

1. That's your choice. They behave the same.

2. A pizza pan primarily acts as a guide when stretching out the dough, to help you get the size and shape you want. Professionals generally have the experience to do it free-form.

3. No. When you're forming the dough, pinch the edge to create a raised side.

Old 01-27-2016, 08:44 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Maybe I should have said plain flour instead of strong flower as I don't seem to see strong self raising flour
Old 01-27-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

It doesn't matter what kind of flour you use. You will get slightly different results, so it depends on what you want out of it. I don't use self-rising flour and I always have all-purpose and bread (strong) flour on hand.

Check this out for more information: http://slice.seriouseats.com/archive...s-to-know.html
Old 01-27-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
Head Chef

When I lived in the Bahamas, I just used all purpose flour because I couldn't get bread flour on the island. It seemed to work just fine for pizza crust. You aren't looking for a high rise, so bread (or strong) flour isn't really necessary.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:03 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Self rising flour contains baking powder, not yeast. I have never heard of anyone making a pizza dough out of self rising flour.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Self rising flour contains baking powder, not yeast. I have never heard of anyone making a pizza dough out of self rising flour.
You're right. I don't know why that didn't occur to me.
Old 01-27-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:

+1

For me, flour matters. I don't stock all purpose flour or self rising flour. I use bread/hard/strong flour for products using baking yeast and soft flour for products using baking soda or baking powder for leavening.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:12 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethzaring View Post
+1

For me, flour matters. I don't stock all purpose flour or self rising flour. I use bread/hard/strong flour for products using baking yeast and soft flour for products using baking soda or baking powder for leavening.
I stock AP flour, bread flour, whole wheat flour, white whole wheat flour, self-rising flour (used mostly for biscuits), and whole wheat pastry flour, all King Arthur, and from time to time I will order some other specialty flour from King Arthur. King Arthur is the only flour I use.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:33 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:

You're absolutely right