"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 08-26-2004, 06:10 PM   #21
Sous Chef
I don't like sushi. I LOVE sushi. :D

The rice should have a balanced delicate flavor. If you notice the vinegar right away, it's not properly seasoned.

If you don't think you can stomach raw fish, there are other sushis you can try that have cooked items and/or raw veggies. Tamago is a delicious egg omelette. How about the California Roll? It's got cooked crab in it. Ebi, which is a cooked shrimp. Unagi, which is a delicious cooked eel and happens to be one of my favorites. There are also vegetarian sushis made with cucumbers and takuan (pickled daikon raddish).

Psiguyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 06:27 PM   #22
Executive Chef
I never could get used to the raw fish but the tamago,california roll,ebi and the vegetarian sushis are really good. All you need is sushi to make a cool summer lunch.......

wasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 07:56 AM   #23
Chief Eating Officer
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
GB - remember, don't force your wife to "like" sushi - once she does your bill will double
Man is that good advice!!!

She actually wants to try it (or so she says) and she wants to enjoy it. She is a pretty adventurous eater when she wants to be. She tried goat when we were on our honeymoon and while goat is not all that exotic, I know her family would have thought she was crazy for trying it.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 09:03 AM   #24
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to Russell

I can't get enough of it.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:18 PM   #25
Assistant Cook
Yeah, I know GB, that a deli just can't do it justice, but you have to understand that where I live, Italian (major influence) and Chinese are about as exotic as it gets. No such thing as sushi, Indian or anything else,
so I'd definitely be open to trying it again. The deli is not "my final answer" by any stretch. Anybody know of any good restaurants in the
Detroit area? We have relatives there.
Gemini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2004, 06:24 PM   #26
Senior Cook
Send a message via AIM to spryte Send a message via MSN to spryte Send a message via Yahoo to spryte
I love sushi! Especially when it has lots of orange roe. YUMMMM
spryte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:01 PM   #27
Senior Cook
I have never liked sushi !! I feel so bad about that sometimes, it's like when everyone agrees on something and you're the odd one out :(

Sometimes we go out dinning with a bunch of friends, everyone's first choice "sushi" and I just look to the ground! Now I hope I'm not getting off topic by requesting this.. How did you all get to like sushi????????
Was it the more you eat it the more you'll like it? Or some varities are not to be tried at first? Or was it love at first bite or whatttttttttttttt????

To make it easier, I'll say why I don't actually like it :
1.Raw fish turns up my stomach, I know it's not dangerous but I hate the taste!
2.I hate sesame seeds/sesame oil
3. I hate cold rice!
4.I hate wassabi taste!

Is there any hope for me?? Thanks!
pancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 02:16 PM   #28
Chief Eating Officer
The very first time I tried it I was not happy. I really did not like it at all. I was at a restaurant that is Chinese on one side and Japanese tepanyaki (sp?) tables on the other side. I was on the Chinese side and on the buffet they had sushi so I decided to be adventurous. It was not horrible, but it was certainly not something I wanted to try again.

My second time my parents took me to a sushi restaurant and ordered for me. I fell in love that night. What I had that night was night and day from what I had the first time.

Sushi is something where the quality of the ingredients is ultra important so make sure if you are trying it for the first time or trying to learn how to like or appreciate it that you go to a good restaurant.

Moonlight, if you hate cold rice and you hate wassabi and you hate raw fish then chances are you will never like sushi. You can get sushi without wasabi and you can get it without raw fish (or any fish for that matter), but sushi means seasoned rice so you wont find rice free sushi. Have you tried a variety of raw fish? Some taste very similar, but others taste very different. Raw salmon and tuna do not taste anything alike in my opinion. If you want to try again then you might go with your friends who enjoy it and take a taste of some of their sashimi which is just the raw fish with nothing else. Taste a variety and see if you might find a type you like.
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 03:40 PM   #29
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to kyles
I laugh at myself sometimes.....I got to a sushi place called Yo! Sushi, and always have some sashimi (usually a mixed plate of different fish) some inari, some california rolls and a rare beef salad and pickles. But I can't bring myself to try the eel, and it's cooked! How silly is that. I'll be really brave next time and try it! They had tempura fried green chillis on sushi rice last time I went, but I didn't try that either.

I love all Japanese food. My mum studied Japanese history when I was a kid, so was introduced to Japanese food when I was little. At the time Tasmania in the 1970's was very backward (there was still a large amount of discrimination against the Japanese due to World War 11) I don't think any of my friends had tried anything more ethnic than pizza!

I have fond memories of mum cooking tempura on a Friday night, or Sukiyaki. Yum!!!!
kyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 04:35 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Moonlight - you can get pieces of sushi (usually 2 per order - forgot what it's called) and it is usually served on a compressed amount of rice. We went to one place and we could get spiral cut daikon radish substituted for the rice - it was excellent!!!! ...and much less filling... which resulted in a $123.00 bill LOL But we had a lot of specialty rolls and stuff. You can get unagi (cooked eel), don't wince though - it's quite good and sweet. You can also get them to place some squid in the little broiler they have, tell them to heat until the edges are browned and curled and then serve on the daikon radish.

But GB kind of nailed it on the head - the wasabi isn't an issue because you don't have to use it, the raw fish isn't an issue because you can get plenty of vegetarian/veggie and cooked things - but the rice is key

Just hold your head up and say - NO THANK YOU - I DON'T LIKE IT!!!! I know I try to get people to try it who never have - everyone has ended up liking it - sometimes they only like the cooked rolls or rolls with tempura in them. BUT they like rice too. AND all these friends hate me because know they are broke from eating sushi

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote