"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-19-2016, 02:27 AM   #81
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Walleyed pike is excellent! I can get it right here in the restaurant 4 blocks from the house. It's the only place I've found it west of Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Love lion fish too - a true delicacy. Wish more would discover it to help curb the infestation in the Caribbean.
Walleye, or pickerel as they call it in Canada, is a member of the pike/perch family, Though they are closer in flavor to a perch, than a pike. It's also much easier to remove the bones when filleting them. Walleye hafe a mild and wonderful flavor, probably second only to Great Lakes Whitefish (a member of the trout family, very mild and yummy) in Michigan, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. Walleye tournaments abound.

I have two fish that are tied for first place - Fresh, wild Eastern Brook Trout, and Swordfish. Rainbow Trout comes in a very close second, as it is nearly indistinguishable in flavor and texture to the brookie.

But I haven't met a fish or clam, or muscle that I didn't like. Oops, hold the phone, I had catfish from the Mississippi River that tasted of mud to me. But catfish out of Lake Superior taste fine.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:52 AM   #82
Head Chef

Talapia. What's the big thing about that fish? I think it tastes bland. It's almost like..."get used to Talapia, cod is gonna be extinct in 10 years, Talapia is all you'll be able to buy". I'm not a fan of cooking Talapia.

Old 06-19-2016, 07:05 AM   #83
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Talapia. What's the big thing about that fish? I think it tastes bland. It's almost like..."get used to Talapia, cod is gonna be extinct in 10 years, Talapia is all you'll be able to buy". I'm not a fan of cooking Talapia.
The biggest thing I've heard about Talapia is that the trash from SE Asia is to be avoided. Same with other fish/seafood from there. We don't eat Talapia and the only cod we've eaten is Bacalao. There are a lot of other fish to choose from should cod be no longer commercially available.
Old 06-19-2016, 02:41 PM   #84
Master Chef

No swahi, or tilapia will ever sit on my plate, or be cooked in my kitchen. I've tried both of them, once. That was enough for a life time. I don't purchase cod, or other endangered seafood. If I'm purchasing from the market, I buy canned tuna in water, but not albacore, great lakes salmon, steelhead. pollock, redfish, some of the saltwater flatfish that show up on the counter, farmed and wild shrimp, etc. I try to purchase sustainable fish and seafood. Swordfish, though I love the flavor, is a victim of a member of the top predatory fish, which it is, and is filled with human-made toxins, i.e. heavy metals, dioxin, etc. I've had it only twice for that reason. I fish in the Eastern U.P. as many of the western U.P. streams naturally have heavy metals in the foods that trout eat. Lead, copper, and iron are abundant minerals in Western U.P. Michigan.

I am, or at least was a hunter, and am still a sport fisherman. But I am also a naturalist by nature. If I were to trophy hunt, that hunt would be done with a camera. I love the world as it was before the industrial age. I subscribe to the idea that when you camp in the wilderness, it is your responsibility to leave it in as close to its natural state as possible, to leave it better than it was when you got there. If someone else left a mess, be part of the solution and clean up discarded containers, fishing line, etc.

Ok, I've strayed yet again. My head, right now is in only two places, taking care of my responsibilities at home, at church, and at work, and, conservation and preservation of this land.

I'm done now.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:54 PM   #85
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Favorite Fish?

I so wish lion fish could be imported locally. It is truly the most delicious fish I've ever had. I can't handle "fishy" tasting fish, and lion fish is soooo delicate and tasty. Thankfully many of the Caribbean islands where this predator is decimating the reefs have realized this, and it's on the menu. They have to be speared, as they won't take a line, so it's quite a process to catch them.

I too won't eat swai or tilapia anymore. Wild-caught here.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:03 PM   #86
Master Chef

I like mackeral, salted and grilled. As sashimi, I love yellowtail.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:34 PM   #87
Certified Pretend Chef

This thread started 12 years ago and I can't believe I never responded. So, here goes.

Swordfish, blue fish, salmon.

In sushi/sashimi, tuna, butter fish, salmon

I'm not a fan of "fish that doesn't taste like fish".
Old 06-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #88
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
I like mackeral, salted and grilled. As sashimi, I love yellowtail.
Your yellowtail and our yellowtail are two different species.
Old 06-19-2016, 04:45 PM   #89
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Your yellowtail and our yellowtail are two different species.
Ok, hamachi, to be more specific....:))
Old 06-19-2016, 11:37 PM   #90
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

I am, or at least was a hunter, and am still a sport fisherman. But I am also a naturalist by nature. If I were to trophy hunt, that hunt would be done with a camera. I love the world as it was before the industrial age. I subscribe to the idea that when you camp in the wilderness, it is your responsibility to leave it in as close to its natural state as possible, to leave it better than it was when you got there. If someone else left a mess, be part of the solution and clean up discarded containers, fishing line, etc.

Ok, I've strayed yet again. My head, right now is in only two places, taking care of my responsibilities at home, at church, and at work, and, conservation and preservation of this land.

Chief, there is a saying that Girl Scouts have when they go camping. "Leave the site better than you found it."

My sister and I always tried to have our Scouts not only leave it cleaner, but to leave something behind that they saw a need for. One year it was a clothesline that the girls had to put up and a package of clothes pins. They remembered from the prior year that placing your clothes on the bushes, they walked around smelling like pine trees.

How is your wife doing now? Is she home?

Tags
None