"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 05-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Frozen Lobster tail - surf & turf anniversary dinner tips?

So for our 4 year anniversary tonight, I've decided to go with a surf and turf theme.

I don't have a problem with the steak (it's kind of my specialty) but I've never cooked lobster tails before. Tips? What do I need to know?

I was going to pick up the tails (they're on sale 2 for $9) and maybe some prawns and some garlic butter for dipping.

I'll be grilling the steaks (probably just some sirloins).

Side dish recommendations would be great as well. I was thinking asparagus and maybe putting the prawns into an alfredo linguine dish. Dunno, haven't thought that far ahead yet. I have about four hours (kinda last minute...woops!) Gonna go pick up the tails/steaks/veg shortly.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 AM   #2
Head Chef

So how did the lobster turn out? Happy Anniversary.

Old 05-11-2006, 11:52 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Well, she ended up being a bit late from work, so we went out for dinner and are having lobster for lunch instead. This was fine as the lobster hadn't thawed yet anyhow.

I think it'll be good, or I hope so, anyhow.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I'm doing a "surf and turf wellington" I made up for a special......Whole beef tenderloin seared and stuffed with lobster tails and duxells and wrapped in puff pastry, painted with egg wash and baked to medium. I think it will be great
Old 05-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Sounds good, Jimmy.

I'm not that brave
Old 05-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Senior Cook

It's really not that hard at all. Nothing is too hard if you try, ****, if i didn't screw up trying new things, i'd never be where i am now. Never be afraid of something new, after all, if you don't try, how are you really going to know.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:56 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jimmy
It's really not that hard at all. Nothing is too hard if you try, ****, if i didn't screw up trying new things, i'd never be where i am now. Never be afraid of something new, after all, if you don't try, how are you really going to know.
Exactly. Hey, post a pic of your finished special if you can.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:03 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I'm doing it Sunday for Mother's Day. I'll try to remember to take a pic.

BTW, sorry about the h*** word, just to let others know it was an h word and not f or s. won't happen again.

IC, I haven't decided on a sauce or if i will just let it be. suggestions? I really don't want to over power it, and a sauce to fit both is tough, I may do a demi or other wine/stock reduced sauce for beef and a butter/w.wine sauce for seafood, but i think the dish should speak for itself
Old 05-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef_Jimmy
IC, I haven't decided on a sauce or if i will just let it be. suggestions? I really don't want to over power it, and a sauce to fit both is tough, I may do a demi or other wine/stock reduced sauce for beef and a butter/w.wine sauce for seafood, but i think the dish should speak for itself
I think the challenging part is that the lobster and filet will be combined in the Wellington together. Is it going to be made a la minute or buffet style? If it's buffet style then the holding of the sauce will be important too. Looking at the rest of your menu, something that you could do is make a truffle infused bernaise sauce with white truffle oil since truffles goes well with both the filet and lobster. The bernaise should hold if you're doing buffet style too. If you do that though I would probably omit the tarragon and just use chives and chervil instead.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:13 AM   #10
Senior Cook

that sounds, good, i agree that the tarragon would over do it, but chervil and chives are nice and i have some great truffle oil that i haven't used in a while.hmmmmm you got my wheels spinning, thanks. I'll let you know what i'm going to do. It will not be buffet style. It is for a "40 top" And they are friends of mine also in the industry so i'm doing this for them, so i don't have to worry about holding it. It will go out immedietely which is sooooo convienient. They have a prie fix menu so this will serve most of them, i'm doing 2 so if there is any left over, i'll use it for a dinner special. If it turns out good, I would love to do it again. I will use a large tenderloin that is larger on one end than the other so i can have medium and mid rare. I am just waiting for the person that says "hay, that there piece of meat is still mooin' put 'er back in the oven till it's burnt up" Or my personal favorite (this is not about this but) When someone orders a steak Pittsburg Medium.

Tags
None