Lent is coming..Low budget seafood specials?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't understand the "u", Craig. They are what they call "collosal", 16-20 count I believe. I always buy the bigguns because they shrink when cooked.

Thanks. I always went by the store ad. Collosal, large, medium...
If I had a bag, I'd look, but they are too expensive right now, lol.

16-20 shrimps are pretty common at 3.50lb or less.
I buy them frozen and ez-peel (deveined and split shell)

There are bigger/better ones available when I am grilling them but the price reflects that too.

Those are them, Craig, split and mostly deveined. They are never as low as 3.50, but I know it's usually below $10/lb on sale. That's why I refused to buy them for 15 something... and they weren't even gulf shrimp, they were from China.
You folks by the coast have it made when it comes to seafood. And with fuel going up, it's only going to get worse for us inlanders.

an idea, pasta walneto, rice and mushroom palte with small green sald along side.a barley bake with mushrooms,spinach quiche,Tomato pie tomato onion surprise great with salad ,cheese stuffed tomatoes, can be made early in day and refrigerated til ready to bakeif any of these peek your interest let me know
kadesma:)

I buy Krab (fake crab) when it is onsale at 2 for one. I love to make it into a Krab salad and serve it over a big bed of greens . Makes a lovely hearty salad. Or you can make a popovers and fill them with the Krab salad mixture.

DO YOU HAVE A GOOD POPOVER RECIPIE? sOUNDS GOOD. tHANKS!

Seafood, $6.50 and spa setting is a tough match to make. If you can frame the special as "meatless for Lent", you can draw on all sorts of vegetarian options. We have a place here that makes a perfectly dreadful sounding, but oddly addiction imitation crab in a super thick cheese sauce that would hot the price point. It really is good and just as simple as it sounds. I would also look at a linguine and red clam sauce, using canned clams, but garnished with 2 or three fresh clams in the shell. Can you get finnan haddie or salt cod for a reasonable cost?

Seafood, $6.50 and spa setting is a tough match to make. If you can frame the special as "meatless for Lent", you can draw on all sorts of vegetarian options. We have a place here that makes a perfectly dreadful sounding, but oddly addiction imitation crab in a super thick cheese sauce that would hot the price point. It really is good and just as simple as it sounds. I would also look at a linguine and red clam sauce, using canned clams, but garnished with 2 or three fresh clams in the shell. Can you get finnan haddie or salt cod for a reasonable cost?

Thanks for the input. I do use some salt cod, Imitation crabmeat, salmon patties, yellow fin tuna & some augraten pasta dishes. The red clam sauce sounds good too.

I asked about salt cod, because I have had an idea simmering along and think I have it worked out: a loaded potato. Make up your salt cod in a sauce of tomato, olive and capers, with a touch of cayenne, and serve in a large baked potato, with lemon wedges. I haven't actually made this yet, but in my head it should taste good and hit that sweet spot for luncheon fare.

I asked about salt cod, because I have had an idea simmering along and think I have it worked out: a loaded potato. Make up your salt cod in a sauce of tomato, olive and capers, with a touch of cayenne, and serve in a large baked potato, with lemon wedges. I haven't actually made this yet, but in my head it should taste good and hit that sweet spot for luncheon fare.

I have done something similar with imitation crab in a baked potato with bay shrimp & called it a seafood au graten stuffed potato but I really like your idea. I'll try it. Thanks!

SORRY- I touched the wrong key ..........and every thing desapeared.......
I was talking about KEDGEREE. Is made with smoked fish, rice and eggs. Is light and
easy. There are many recipes, I like the recipe fron Sophie Grigson in The Good Food Channel -
Hope you like it.

[QIiUOTE=2belucile;978301]That recipe is in this address:
www.uktv.co.uk/food/recipe/aid/516043[/QUOTE]

Sounds interesting. I will try it at home first. Some of the currry recipies looked good too. Have you worked much with curry? Are there different degrees of curry, hot or mild............

You might try deviled crab and shrimp great in a ramekin with a little rice underneath. You just combine all the ingredients except the crumbs. Put in ramekins then sprinkle with buttered crumbs and bake at 350 30 min.
1 chopped red or green pepper 1 med yellow onion, 1 cup chopped celery, 1 cup crab mwat, 1 cupshrimp chopped after cleaning, salt and pepper ! Tab Worcestershire,1 cup mayo and at least 1 cup buttered bread crumbs
kadesma:)

Back
Top Bottom