"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 06-08-2003, 09:31 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I'm glad your dinner turned out well Michelledawn. Cooking is really easy though - just find some simple recipes and follow them. And if you'll notice, if a recipe is really long it's usually because of all the herbs and spices so really, they're easy too.

There are some time-consuming recipes out there but tons and tons of great, easy ones. Take a look in the Recipe and Meal Ideas forum. Lots of good ideas there.

Glad to have you here.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:48 AM   #12
Assistant Cook

Here's one for shrimp.

Dredge shrimp in your favorite spice mix. Fry quickly in 1-2 Tbsp. oil.
Sauce: (Measurements are approximate.)
1/2 cup mayo
2 Tbsp sour cream or yogurt
zest of a lime
juice from the lime, to taste
1 Tbsp chopped capers
Mix everything together and refrigerate to blend flavors. I usually make this the day before. It's great on other fish and also hot wings.
The shrimp can be served cold as an appetizer, too, but I like them hot for dinner.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:36 AM   #13
Sous Chef

:D Hi......

I like oven fried flounder. set oven at 450, sprinkle fish with S+P and paprika, dip into milk, press into bread crumbs, arrange on baking sheet, spoon melted butter on each piece and bake for 5-7 mins. Make your own tartar sauce, mayo, relish, parsley, garlic and onion powders and a good shot of lemon juice. Good stuff!
Old 09-14-2004, 08:24 PM   #14

Stuffed Cod Fillets:

Stuffing (recipe below)
1 lb cod fillets
1 tbsp margarine or butter melted

Lite lemon sauce (recipe below)

Prepare stuffing as directed in recipe. Heat oven to 375°. Spray 8" square baking dish wth no-stick cooking spray. Spoon stuffing evenly over each fillet; carefully roll to enclose filling. Secure each roll with toothpicks. Place, seam side down, in sprayed dish; brush with melted butter. Bake for 20 min or until fish flakes easily with fork. Serve with lemon sauce. 4 servings.

Stuffing:

2 tsp butter
1/4 cup shredded carrot
1/4 cup chopped celery
2 tbsp finely chopped onion
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp dried thyme
dash pepper
3 tbsp water
2 cups soft bread crumbs

Melt butter in med saucepan over med heat; add carrot, celery and onion. Cook and stir until tender. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients.

Lite Lemon Sauce:

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp flour
dash salt
dash white pepper
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 tsp grated lemon peel

Melt butter in small saucepan. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook over low heat until mixture is smooth and bubbly. Gradually add milk. Cook until mixture boils and thickens, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice and lemon peel... makes 1/2 cup.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:24 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Julie - Like the lemon sauce idea - I'll have to try that!

This is a very 'traditional' recipe from the 'No-Name Restaurant' in Boston. Don't even know if they're still around, I got the recipes in the - uh - 60's!

BOSTON SCROD

serves 4

4 scrod or cod fillets
1/3 cup melted butter
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1tsp. dry mustard
2T lemon juice
1tsp. onion powder
salt/pepper
Minced parsley
2 dashes each of Worchestershire sauce and tabasco sauce

Preheat oven to 450; Season fish with salt/pepper; brush with butter and bake 5 minutes; remove from oven. Combine remaining ingredients and the rest of the melted butter, and spoon on top of fillets and press down lightly. Bake another 5-7 minutes til crumbs are light brown and fish flakes.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:09 AM   #16
Senior Cook

one of my favorite uses of my microwave is for fish; it really comes out fresh tasting!

Microwave Halibut

1 lb. halibut (filets or steaks, fresh or frozen, thawed)
salt & pepper
juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tbls butter or margarine
1 can (2-1/2 oz.) mushrooms, drained
1/2 cup dairy sour cream
1 tbl dry sherry (optional)
paprika

Place halibut in greased, shallow microwave-proof baking dish.
Drizzle juice of 1/2 lemon over the top.
Dot with 1 tbl butter and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Cover with waxed paper (seems to work best), and microwave at MEDIUM for 4 minutes.
Place remaining tbl of butter in 2-cup microwave-proof bowl; microwave at HIGH for 15 seconds.
Toss mushrooms in butter; microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds.
Stir in sour cream and sherry; spoon over halibut.
Sprinkle with paprika.
Microwave at MEDIUM for 3 to 4 minutes (depends on thickness and quantity of fish) or until halibut flakes easily when tested with a fork.

Serves 3 to 4.

Good Luck!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:11 AM   #17
Head Chef

Alton Brown taught me an amazing way of cooking fish that is so easy, it should be illegal! I'm now hooked on the method!

Take any kind of fish filet you wish and season with salt and pepper, cayenne, whatever strikes your fancy.

Place the filet(s) on one side of a large rectangle of parchment paper. Place a pat of butter, sliced bell pepper strips and/or onions, lemons, fresh herb springs, etc., on top of the filet(s).

Make a pouch from the parchment paper by folding over the "vacant" half on top of the half with the fish filet(s). Starting at the top fold, begin folding and creasing, folding and creasing all the way along the opened edges of the paper until the entire thing is folded and sealed. Tuck the remaining "tail" of the paper underneath the pouch and place on a cookie sheet.

Bake in a preheated 425-degree oven for about 12-15 minutes. When done, cut the pouch open with a knive (beware of the escaping cloud of steam), and prepare to be overwhelmed with the aroma. Without exception, the fish is flaky, dripping-moist and full of flavor. My personal favorite is to use salmon filets with a pat of butter, fresh dill sprigs and lemon slices...ahhhhhh.)

In the likely event that my description is as clear as mud, find Alton's episode of "The Pouch Principle" on FN here...for as long as it lasts...:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show..._23807,00.html

Tags
None