"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Mussels with Fennel, Tomatoes, Ouzo & Cream

This has been a hit every time I've made it. Best served with Crusty Bread but a nice clumpy Jasmine rice is what I choose when I'm alone. By clumpy I mean sticky but not "Sticky Rice''.

Ingredients:
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced
1 large tomato, cubed
1/2 cup white wine (optional Mushroom or Vegie Broth)
1/4 cup ouzo (optional Pernod or similar)
1/2 cup heavy creme (35%)
4 lbs mussels, cleaned
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, lightly torn
salt to taste

Method:
Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. I use a deep straight-sided saute pan with a lid. Stir in the shallots and garlic first, cook until tender. Add in the fennel and tomato and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
Mix your white wine, ouzo and heavy cream into the pan and bring to a boil. Dump in the mussels, 1/2 of the basil and salt.
Cover saucepan and turn down the heat once the sauce has come back to a boil (doesn't take long). Once they start to open give it a quick stir to mix them up. Cover, continue cooking till all the mussels have opened. Only takes about 5 to 10 min.
Garnish with remaining basil to serve.

1. If using white wine be sure to use the heavy creme - it is less liable to 'break'.
2. I really like using the mushroom broth vs the white wine. A little more 'depth' to the over all flavour.
Tip:
When finished cooking should there be any mussels not open - throw them back in the pan for another 5 min. or so. If after that they still haven't opened throw them out. But I think you'll be surprised that they have opened and they are just fine!

Old 04-16-2018, 10:49 PM   #2
Head Chef

Switch out clams for the mussels and I’m all over this!

Old 04-17-2018, 06:24 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Now there's an idea. Never thought of that. Thanks JustJ

Tags
cream, fennel, mussels, recipe, tomato, tomatoes

Mussels with Fennel, Tomatoes, Ouzo & Cream This has been a hit every time I've made it. Best served with Crusty Bread but a nice clumpy Jasmine rice is what I choose when I'm alone. By clumpy I mean sticky but not "Sticky Rice''. [U]Ingredients:[/U] 1 Tbsp olive oil 2 shallots, finely chopped 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and thinly sliced 1 large tomato, cubed 1/2 cup white wine (optional Mushroom or Vegie Broth) 1/4 cup ouzo (optional Pernod or similar) 1/2 cup heavy creme (35%) 4 lbs mussels, cleaned 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, lightly torn salt to taste [B]Method:[/B] Heat the olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. I use a deep straight-sided saute pan with a lid. Stir in the shallots and garlic first, cook until tender. Add in the fennel and tomato and continue cooking for about 5 minutes. Mix your white wine, ouzo and heavy cream into the pan and bring to a boil. Dump in the mussels, 1/2 of the basil and salt. Cover saucepan and turn down the heat once the sauce has come back to a boil (doesn't take long). Once they start to open give it a quick stir to mix them up. Cover, continue cooking till all the mussels have opened. Only takes about 5 to 10 min. Garnish with remaining basil to serve. 1. If using white wine be sure to use the heavy creme - it is less liable to 'break'. 2. I really like using the mushroom broth vs the white wine. A little more 'depth' to the over all flavour. Tip: When finished cooking should there be any mussels not open - throw them back in the pan for another 5 min. or so. If after that they still haven't opened throw them out. But I think you'll be surprised that they have opened and they are just fine! 3 stars 1 reviews