Mussels with Ginger and Shallots

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

powerplantop

Executive Chef
Simple recipe for mussels.

1 1/2 pounds Fresh Mussels
1 Tablespoon butter
4 diced shallots,
julienned fresh ginger, I used about a 2 inch piece but I love ginger with seafood.
1/2 teaspoon salt,
2 cups of water
handfull of chopped flat leaf parsley.

Melt butter in pan, add ginger, shallots and salt.
When the shallots have softened add water and bring to a boil.
When the water has started to boil add parsley and mussels.
Cook covered until done.

For done I only cook them until just after they have opened. It is best to use a see thru lid.

You could use wine or a mix of wine and water but I would boil it to cook out most of the alcohol.

Fresh Canadian Mussels by powerplantop, on Flickr

This is almost exactly how I do mine, except I usually use a combo of white wine + stock (or a bottle of good clam juice) instead of water. Simple and delicious! And that photo is great, it's tempting me to reach out and grab that one sitting so temptingly on the edge of the dish.

This is almost exactly how I do mine, except I usually use a combo of white wine + stock (or a bottle of good clam juice) instead of water. Simple and delicious! And that photo is great, it's tempting me to reach out and grab that one sitting so temptingly on the edge of the dish.

Thank you, I debate putting in some wine but to put wine I would have had to buy some.

Ooh, so purty! :yum:

Thank you. These mussels were big and photographed very well.

This sounds lovely! :) Mussles are one of my favourite types of sea food, normally I do them with shallots in black bean sauce but I think I will give your recipe a try next time! :) I have just ordered a huge bag of ground ginger, do you think I would be able to use this instead of fresh?
I think this recipe would be lovely with a crisp glass of white wine whilst sat in the sunshine ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds lovely! :) Mussles are one of my favourite types of sea food, normally I do them with shallots in black bean sauce but I think I will give your recipe a try next time! :) I have just ordered a huge bag of ground ginger, do you think I would be able to use this instead of fresh?
I think this recipe would be lovely with a crisp glass of white wine whilst sat in the sunshine ;)

Hi, Susan. Fresh and dried ginger are nothing alike, so you wouldn't get the same flavor. I'd get fresh. It will keep forever in a jar of dry sherry in the fridge.

You could use the ground stuff but go easy.

Anything is good with a nice glass of wine.

All the recent post about mussels made me this about this recipe. Hard to believe its been 5 years since I posted it.

I wasn't around here in 2013 but I like the ginger addition. I have doing the same ole white wine, butter garlic deal, but I will add a finger of ginger next time.

I hadn't seen this post either. Thanks for bringing it forward powerplan!

Sounds yummy. Will definitely add this one - love ginger too!

Back
Top Bottom