"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 PM   #11
Head Chef

I use Mccormick - not the Madras (as I recall), and I'm not big on heat. Just a little, for me, goes a long way.

McCormick Food Service Product Detail - Curry Powder

Curry Powder is a blend of coriander, fenugreek, turmeric, cumin, black pepper, bay leaves, celery seed, nutmeg, cloves, onion, red pepper, and ginger.

Or, you could make your own blend, to taste. Here's one from AB:
Curry Powder Blend Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

Old 10-10-2007, 10:33 PM   #12
Head Chef

Hi urmaniac, yes it's been a long time. Hope things are well on your end.

I consider cinnamon, cloves, black pepper as having sweet spices but they definitely are warm spices (with some heat in them).

Ginger to me is also pungent spicy type root. Galangal is a bit milder. I was going by the original request of absolutely no heat and if that is the case I would not use any of the sweet spices nor ginger (so I omitted it from my recipe).

Also as far as curry powders go I have a dislike towards them because they are ground up and have to be used fast. If you don't they lose their pungency. Being Indian I like my spices freshly roasted and ground so I normally go down that path. I also have more control that way in quantity that I mix and the type of spices I use. For example fenugreek does not go well with all dishes and nor does star anise or anise seeds. So I add them if I need to or omit them if I wish to.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:59 PM   #13
Head Chef

Fenugreek is one of the most important flavors in a mild curry along with cumin and tumerick.. I had to cook for a nice bunch of Vegans and curry was high on there list of fav. meals..NEVER, NEVER buy Thai curry paste. it come in 3 different heat ranges and the mildest one nearly sent me to the ER. They are super spicy and oh sooooooo hot
Old 10-11-2007, 02:18 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Hi guys = This is the curry I use. It is not hot. I have also used McCormicks just plain ol' curry powder. It's not hot either.

If you look at the ingredients for the hot curry it includes red pepper.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:12 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
Hi urmaniac, yes it's been a long time. Hope things are well on your end.

I consider cinnamon, cloves, black pepper as having sweet spices but they definitely are warm spices (with some heat in them).

Ginger to me is also pungent spicy type root. Galangal is a bit milder. I was going by the original request of absolutely no heat and if that is the case I would not use any of the sweet spices nor ginger (so I omitted it from my recipe).

Also as far as curry powders go I have a dislike towards them because they are ground up and have to be used fast. If you don't they lose their pungency. Being Indian I like my spices freshly roasted and ground so I normally go down that path. I also have more control that way in quantity that I mix and the type of spices I use. For example fenugreek does not go well with all dishes and nor does star anise or anise seeds. So I add them if I need to or omit them if I wish to.
Yep we are fine, thanks!! I have been making myself scarce during the spring-summer due to home improvement/moving... we are finally in the new home but the work is still not finished!! Very exhausting, stressful at times, but a nice change, too!!

Thanks for the explanation of the sweet spices, too... yip, you are right ginger has a bit of sting, especially when it is still raw... as for other spices, maybe I don't feel it because I am more tolerant to spiciness than average people Sometimes I use Jamaican pimento for curry, which works out very well and has a flavour sort of mixture of all those sweet spices, but it DOES have a punch. The same goes for berbere (a mixture of spice originating from Africa), when we first tried it, we were totally fooled by the sweet smell, and put a generous amount of it in one of our cake recipes... geez were we in for a surprise...
The contrasting combination makes these spices very interesting for experiments though, to say the least!!
Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
MAHI-MAHI WITH COCONUT CARAMEL SAUCE

1 lb mahi-mahi fillets
2 cups demerara or turbinado sugar
1 1/2 cups coconut milk, heated
3 Tbs fish sauce
1 medium shallot, minced
1 Tbs ginger, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 to 3 scallions, sliced thin
1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Place sugar in a 10-inch frying pan over medium-high heat, stirring often until sugar is melted and amber colored. Add 1/2 cup hot coconut and stir over medium heat until caramelized sugar is completely dissolved. Add fish sauce, shallots, ginger, and garlic.

Grill mahi-mahi 3 to 4 minutes per side until cooked through and grill marks are evident.

Bring sauce to a boil, stirring constantly until reduced to about 2/3 cup. Pour sauce over fish and garnish with sliced scallions.

Tags
None