"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 10-10-2007, 04:21 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Non-Spicy Curry Mahi Mahi

I'm 31 and my roommate and friend is 65. He's been to almost every country imaginable, and has eaten everything, but since he had chemo therapy ten years ago, he can't eat anything with a hint of heat. I have some mahi mahi, and a can of coconut milk and a tin of Thai chili paste, but I know I can't make it for him tonight. How can I make a variation of curried mahi mahi that is not spicy so that he can enjoy it as well?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:33 PM   #2
Head Chef

Here is a recipe you can use and it has no spice whatsoever. I am hoping however that your friend can eat garlic.

Make your own curry paste.

Prepare some onions first by cooking them in a tbsp of oil until they are translucent and lose their raw flavor

Dump them into a blender along with the following:

A big handful of cilantro (fresh)
A few cloves of garlic
2 tsp of fish sauce
1 tsp of soy sauce
juice of a lime

Also make a dry spice mix using some cumin and corrainder seeds and add that to the blender as well

Mix it all to combine. You should have a paste. You can add some turmeric to the paste to give it a yellow color.

In a pan add a little oil (1/2 tbsp is fine) and add the prepared curry mix to it and saute it for a few minutes. Next add the coconut can and a cup of water and let it all cook covered on medium low for 20 minutes or until all the flavors have mingled. Now add the fish and cover and cook for another few minutes until the fish is done.

Garnish with cilantro and serve with white rice.

No spice but a lot of flavor. My kids love flavor but no spice so I make this version for them often. It does imply that you have other spices like corrainder, cumin, turmeric so if you dont have then you need to get them to make a palatable version.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thank you, I'll try a variation. I have at home pretty much every ingredient except the blender.

I guess the mortar and pestle and my arms could use the workout.
Well, I've lived 8 years without a dishwasher, and at least my friend who doesn't cook always does the dishes.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have a Mahi-Mahi in Coconut Caramel sauce recipe I pirated from Ana Mandara in San Francisco, but my work computer recipe file isn't up-to-date, so I'll have to post the recipe when I get home, about 6 hours from now. It will probably be too late for tonight's supper in NYC, but you can use it another time.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:39 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thank you anyways. I'm always looking for variations, as we don't have much variation of fish on the corner store.

Anyways, should I coat in sesame seeds or not?
Grill or sautée?
Old 10-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #6
Head Chef

Actually you can do the following if you don't have a blender.

Chop the onions super fine and saute them in the oil until they are slightly golden (not dark).

Use mortor and pestle to first hand grind your dry spices. After that add cilantro and garlic to make that into a paste. That should be relatively quick. Throw that into the onions and add some water and coconut milk. That should work fine. Then squeeze the lemon in it and add a pinch of turmeric. It will have the same end result. Key is to chop the onions super fine.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:47 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I have a friend that had chemo and she cannot handle spicy at ALL!

One of my favorite combos is coconut milk, curry (just the plain yellow so there's no heat), a bit of fish sauce, and cilantro. Also some lemongrass, which can be found frozen and comes in very handy for a flavor kick!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
Head Chef

Hi Kitchenelf can you share the brand of yellow curry you are referring to. Curry powder is a mix of spices and that includes chili powder and sweet spices like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom etc which also have heat in them.

I am not a big fan of readymade curry powder but if there was one that had no chili I would keep it in my pantry to prepare stuff for my kids.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

I too would like to know about this non-spicy yellow curry. I happen to live two blocks from the biggest Indian supermarket in America, but I have NO idea what to look for when I'm there.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:27 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuta View Post
Curry powder is a mix of spices and that includes chili powder and sweet spices like cinnamon, cloves, cardamom etc which also have heat in them.
Hi Yakuta!! (long time no chat!! ) I was just going to suggest a mixture of spice, with toasted and ground coriander seeds, cumin and turmeric, possibly galangal which can be substituted with some ginger, along with those 3 "sweet" spices. I never thought them as heat containing spices, but are they really?

Tags
None