"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood
Old 07-03-2016, 02:26 PM   #51
Master Chef
Tastes change over a lifetime. I never thought there is anything wrong in asking someone to try something they say they "don't like", even if they have tried it in the past. I suppose a lot depends on whether you ask politely or demand that they "go ahead and try it already, dang it"!

Our nieces grew up with extremely limited palates. If they even made a face about the food set on the table, their dad was bouncing up and fixing a hot dog for them. Our older niece is still a fussy eater at age 39. Her sister, 22 months younger, married a wonderfully adventurous guy who is Taiwanese by birth but has been a U. S. citizen since he was in his mid-teens. He has been so successful with getting Niece #2 to try different foods that she wanders the Taiwanese Night Market with her hubby and their almost-13-year-old daughter, nibbling at every type of food she's never had before. For someone who wouldn't even touch fish or seafood, our niece has become a true sushi lover, too?

Tastes change. Why not try something more than once rather than end up missing out on something you would have loved in the end.

I never made a second meal for our kids. If I was planning to make something I knew neither of them liked, I'd just make enough of whatever we had the previous two meals. When dinner rolled around, the kid who didn't like that night's meal got a reheat of the previous meal. I've been doing "planned leftovers" all of my married life!

... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 03:59 PM   #52
Senior Cook
Limited palates, grrrr! I spent two years recently cooking for a brother-in-law who knew what he liked (beef, mash, canned green beans) and knew what he didn't like (everything else). I finally won him over with my meatballs (key extra: 1/4 tsp gelatin per pound of meat). (I'll describe the bloody-Band-Aid-in-the-meatball incident another time, perhaps :-)

With that win in the bank, next up was lamb, which he "didn't like." I did the usual Tuscan leg-thing stuffed with garlic/rosemary. When that thing hits the oven it is not aromatherapy; it is aromaweaponry: he ate 2 1/2 lb in one sitting. So I tried him with Japanese cuisine, specifically "Potato Korokke" (Japanese for Potato Croquette). He wanted nothing to do with "Jap-food" until I explained it was deep-fried ground beef with mash: I ate one; he ate four. (If I'd mentioned the tofu it also contained: he might have shot me :-)

He up and died right in front of us, before I could wean him off his foam-plastic bowls of crap-with-boiling-water-n-FlavoPak, but take heart: change is possible.

But I digress, and would rather get back to sardines.

outRIAAge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:28 PM   #53
Certified Pretend Chef
My grandson is a very fussy eater. It's like pulling teeth to just get him to taste a new food.

One time I had made creme brle and showed him how I browned the sugar with a propane torch. "Cool, Grampy!". He refused to taste it. I cajoled him to take a little bit on the tip of a spoon with the requirement that he had to actually swallow it. He did and "hated it". Two minutes later he was back for another spoonful. Then another, and another.

Funny how that works.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:05 PM   #54
Master Chef
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I never made my kids eat food they hated. I always felt, if you didn't do it to any adults you knew, why would you do it to your own kids? Folks would tell me that they needed the nutrition. They got plenty of nutrition in other foods. If they asked for a taste, fine. They got a small taste and if they didn't like it, it was never placed on their plate. Grant you, some nights I ended up cooking two meals. One for me and my husband (who would eat anything!) and one for the kids. But that didn't happen too often. I tried to make meals that everyone liked. It sure cut down on yelling during mealtime.

Thank you. I did the same, still doing. It is so much easier to make something special for a kid or two, rather than arguing with them, trying to force them eat something they do not like. I like cooking and hones don't mind making something special. Of course that is not what I tell them. I complain that it's not a restaurant and they don't get to order. Blah, blah, blah.....
I do try to clothes that they should eat what they are served. But I guess I am not very successful. Of there is always something everyone likes. I try to stick to that menu.

Sent from my iPhone using Discuss Cooking
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 07:56 PM   #55
Master Chef
Maybe I have a short memory but I don't remember my kids ever complaining about what they were served for dinner. I doubt that I was that good of a cook and they were not the perfect kids of all time, but maybe they just understood "what you see is what you get". Interesting to ponder.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:56 PM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Both my parents had very short fuses, and mealtime was usually difficult and stressful. There is no way I would ever make a child eat something he or she didn't want to.

Sure wish I loved sardines the way I loved them back when I was 8!
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 09:22 PM   #57
Chef Extraordinaire
My parents expected us to at least try whatever was served. If we really didn't like it, we could make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:34 PM   #58
Master Chef
I agree, GG. There is a huge difference between "making someone eat something they do not like" and asking them to "try" and then "try again" at a later date a food they say they don't like. Our kids didn't have to go the PB&J route, though, since it seems I've been making leftovers all of my life.
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:19 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
A friend of mine used to ask the kid, "Try this, just a little taste, to see if you are old enough to like it yet."
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:29 AM   #60
Chef Extraordinaire
It just seemed that one kid would "hate" one food that went with the meal. Nothing was said, and it stayed off that kid's plate. But we had a game. Everyone would rave about how good that hated food was. "Can I have a small bite?" Nah, you wouldn't like it and you know how I feel about wasting food. By the end of the meal, there was a couple of spoonfull's on their plate. And it usually got eaten. It was this method that I was able to get my oldest daughter to try spinach. Today she would rather have spinach lasagna, than the typical Italian one.

Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote