"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #11
Senior Cook

Scallops are easy to cook but TOO easy to overcook. For those who cannot buy dry scallops, set them in a colander and let them drain. After you've done that, pat them dry with paper towels. This will allow you to sear them properly.

There are three types of scallops: sea scallops, bay scallops and calico scallops. Sea scallops are the largest of the lot. There is a large membrane on the side of the scallop which attaches the scallop to the shell. It is easily removed.

Bay scallops and calico scallops are all smaller. Because of that the amount of heat required to to cook them is minimal. I've found in many of my recipes if I have to use those scallops, I'll toss them in raw and let residual heat of the food cook them up.

Goboenomo,
I remember a huge Chinese buffet called Mandarin in Oshawa. Is that the place you're talking about?? That was part of a chain, wasn't it?

Ciao,

Old 12-14-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

The ones I have gotten out of the Gulf are called (I Think) Calico scallops..more in the line of Bay scallops in size...Have also gotten the larger sea scollops (deep water) probably brought in from the East Coast...Pan-seared would be my favorite...But honestly.. I never had the fried ones.

Old 12-14-2006, 04:13 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Fried scallops are pretty good as well. However, like fried oysters, it's in the hands of the fry person. Too long and you've got fried scallop pucks. Too short and the batter or breading is raw or doughy.

Some places (with buffets) have been known to pawn off surimi scallops. You can easily tell they're fake. The all look identical.

Ciao,
Old 12-14-2006, 04:33 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Yep fake they are! Made from Alaskan pollock me thinks.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:34 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Yep fake they are! Made from Alaskan pollock me thinks.
I heard somewhere that they are made from skate wing.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:54 PM   #16
Sous Chef

One inch? I get dry-packed sea scallops whenever I can, and the ones I get usually dwarf a golf-ball and can approach the size of a tennis ball.

I'll eat 'em almost any way. Pan seared, pan-fried, grilled, deep-fried, steamed, or even lightly simmered/poached in a light but zesty broth.

My favorite seafood hands down!

Pet peeve would of course be the overcooked hockey-pucks some people churn out. Such a shame... such as shame...
Old 12-14-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
Head Chef

The scallops that I get are the IQF sea scallops from Cosco. These are much better than the ones that our local grocery stores. I like mine wrapped with bacon
Old 12-14-2006, 06:07 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Andy M....

I have heard the same thing about skate/ray wings...kinda made cookie cutter style.. passed off as scallops...don't have any facts however..
Old 12-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #19
Senior Cook

Skate/ray wing is almost pricier than scallops now. I heard 'back in the day' (and I'm dating myself by saying, "When I was young in the 60s") that was the case. Pollock is what's used now.

Ciao,
Old 12-15-2006, 12:13 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
Andy M....

I have heard the same thing about skate/ray wings...kinda made cookie cutter style.. passed off as scallops...don't have any facts however..
That used to be true until skate got trendy, now it costs as much as scallops, and I'm sure "they" have found some other poor fish to try to pass off as scallops....

Tags
None