"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 01-05-2006, 06:27 PM   #11
Executive Chef

much of the oily/muddy taste of catfish is because it is a fresh not salt water critter. If you season it well, be it cajun red or blackened, or just well salted etc, that taste is abated. please do not take my statement to mean its inverse, that all freshwater fish taste oily. They don't.

Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 PM   #12
Master Chef

I think it's the big river cats that I don't care for. They say that under the dam at Kentucky Lake, there are some that are bigger than a man.
If you have ever cleaned a live catfish, I hope you knew what you were doing. They don't have scales. You have to skin them, and their whiskers will give you a painful sting. They must be nailed through the head to a tree or board, the skin slit around the head, and then pulled off with pliers.
Some neighbors gave me a mess of catfish when I was very young, and told me how to clean them. But I had no hammer, nails, or pliers, so I tried to do it in the kitchen. Those fish flopped out of my hands and all over the floor. It would have made an "I Love Lucy" episode.
I did finally get the job accomplished, but the meat was pretty much in shreds by the time I got it done.

Old 01-06-2006, 12:19 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Hey Constance, try these for large cats:

http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusi...tfishball.html
A story about a flathead cat that tried to swallow a small basketball.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/noodling.asp
Why you don't want to go "noodling" for cats.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #14
Executive Chef

OMG, Allen - it's the catfish that ate Cincinnati, lol!

I remember when I was little, we used to go to Lake Erie for vacations; there was a causeway or something where we could stand out over the water and throw bread to the catfish - I had nightmares when the water would literally start churning with hundreds of catfish mouths!
Old 01-06-2006, 11:02 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Like I said, I'm originally from OK. All the lakes there are man-made. Usually, there is a hydro-electric plant at the damsite. When they turn the generators on, and the flow comes out the downstream side, all the fish that got sucked into the intake from the lake get chopped up. The water is literally teeming with catfish. There are "urban legends" floating around about divers that go down to work on something underwater, and will suddenly resurface, white as a ghost, and say they just saw a catfish that could swallow a man whole.

Tags
None