"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Fish & Seafood

Old 02-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #1
Master Chef

What to do with those thin fish fillets...

I bought some flounder fillets at Sam's last week, and they must have been little bitty fish, because the fillets were small very thin. I didn't want to fry them, so I came up with with this:

Stuffed Flounder Fillets

8 thin flounder fillets
Cajun Seasoning
cup butter
cup diced onion
cup diced celery
1 box chicken flavored dry stuffing mix
1 can crab meat, drained, liquid reserved
1 can small shrimp, drained, liquid reserved

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put vegetables and butter in bowl in microwave, and cook until butter is melted and vegetables softened, about 1 minute 45 seconds, depending on the microwave. Or saute in skillet. Mix together in a bowl with stuffing mix, crab meat, shrimp and reserved liquid from seafood.

Place 4 fillets in sprayed or buttered baking dish. Sprinkle lightly with Cajun seasoning. Spread 2/3 of stuffing mix over top of fillets. Top with remaining fillets, and again sprinkle with seasoning mix. Spoon the rest of the stuffing loosely over the top.

Cover baking dish and bake at 375 for 35 minutes. Uncover and cook 5 minutes more.

It turned out to be really good. I can imagine getting something like this at a restaurant in one of those individual au gratin dishes.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Excellent Miss Connie....I had "stuffed" flounder once..can't remember where or when, (I wasn't at your house was I???) but they had done exactly what you did. Used two filets with stuffing between.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #3
Master Chef

Gee, Bob, was that you?

Ya know, we don't have much of a selection when it comes to seafood, so we have to work with what we get. I have also tried stacking 2 fillets together and treating them as one.
I'd love to be able to go to a seafood market and buy a whole fish!
Old 02-19-2008, 03:14 PM   #4
Master Chef

Constance - I make virtually the same thing all the time, although using different stuffing variations. And I do use the little individual oval baking dishes - one filet on the bottom, stuffing in the middle, 2nd filet on top. Those little shallow oval dishes are fabulous to have on hand for all sorts of individual servings. I also use mine for individual servings of Shrimp Parmesan, Crab Imperial, sides of pasta or vegetables when I don't want them mixing with another dish on the plate, etc., etc.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Omaha Steaks has something similar to this in their All-American Package, but they're sole fillets rolled up around the stuffing, which is bread, crab, and scallops. They ain't bad!

Old 02-19-2008, 04:13 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Miss Connie if ya got any more of those little devils....Soak them in buttermilk for a couple of hours...pick each piece up and let it drain for just a second... bread in corn meal/flour/salt/pepper mixture...drop them in hot peanut oil...Walk over to the sink and wash your hands..dry them off...have a sip of beer...... have another sip of beer...Now quickly take them up on paper towels....Tell Kim to "get back"

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:33 PM   #7
Master Chef

That sounds so good, Bob. They're just the right size for that. I've just been trying to avoid fried foods.
Looks like I need to avoid some other things, too. I weighed this morning.
Thing being, with a whole stick of butter in the dressing, I doubt last nights fish was exactly low-fat.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
Master Chef

Naw, that's not unhealthy! Now, spreading a rich cheese sauce over the whole thing, that would be unhealthy! But good too.
We buy a lot of Talapia at the store as it is one of the cheaper ones, I think this would be a great way to use them, thanks!
Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #9
Senior Cook

That sounds delicious. My family really likes fish but I only really know two ways to cook it! Do you think your recipe would work with sole fillets instead? That's normally what we buy. I'm not sure what the difference is between the two...
Old 02-19-2008, 08:57 PM   #10
Master Chef

I think it would be fine with sole or tilapia either one.

Tags
None