"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 04-16-2003, 03:10 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to zoey
Looking for a Vegan Pasta Recipe

Pasta is generally made with white flour, salt and an egg. What can I substitue for the egg to make a decent vegan pasta? What works the best, and are their different proportions/ extra ingredients?

Old 04-16-2003, 09:14 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to Coco
I once saw a chef prepare a pasta dough using butternut squash, flour, and water. It wasn't a conventional pasta dough, and would have to be rolled out thicker than regular pasta, but it is totally vegan and looks delicious! You might start searching for something like that. Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2003, 06:52 AM   #3
Executive Chef

make gnocchi
Old 05-15-2003, 05:43 PM   #4
Senior Cook

Vegan Pasta

I know you were thinking fresh pasta but a lot of dried pastas for sale are made with just water.

For home-made, you could get some of the effect of the egg by including a little (and I do mean a little) bit of vegetable-derived lecithin along with your flour-water mixture. Lecithin is the stuff in egg yolks that gives them their dispersion characteristics, so it should do the same for you in pasta. Might be worth a try.
Old 05-16-2003, 03:14 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Another possibility: Substitute 1 heaping tbsp of soy flour for each egg called for in recipe - works beautifully in baked goods/pancakes so might work in pasta too. Let us know what works!

PS White flour is such blah stuff (imho)! Around here it's whole wheat all the way . . . :D
Old 11-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Senior Cook

I would go for eggless gnocchi, takes a bit of practice and to go eggless you have to get the right balance of the other ingredients.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

I want to try this recipe for eggplant gnocchi:

Eggplant Gnocchi with Brown Butter and Pine Nut Sauce Recipe | Best Recipes Ever

I'll have to sub out the pine nuts--deathly allergic.

It does have eggs in it, but maybe one could make it as if one were making butternut squash gnocchi without eggs?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:38 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Vegetarian pasta

Real pasta does not contain any egg...the one that does is a modern interpretation of "pasta" made for immediate consumption.

Traditional pasta is semolina and water ONLY, but this needs to be made the day before use and dried overnight.

As I say, you add an egg ONLY if you need to use the past on the same days it's made.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:37 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

It's quite easy to acheive vegan pasta. You could always go the mega-healthy route and make noodles from zucchini and butternut squash - but you don't have to go the healthy route.

Eggless gnocchi is always an option. I suggest adding a teaspoon or two of olive oil to keep the dough workable.

Growing up with an Italian grandmother (who was raised in a rural / poor area of Italy) I learned to make eggless pasta quite early on, and it is actually more common than egg pasta. You don't need eggs, and really you don't even need to dry it overnight. Make it (water, flour, olive oil, salt) let the dough set for a while (1 hour) and then make it into pasta and cook! :-)
Old 01-19-2015, 11:43 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Try this link for inspiration

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelysande...-pasta-recipes

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote