"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Vegetarian/Vegan

Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 AM   #11
Master Chef

Another great classic cookbook.

Don't spend a great deal of money, try a used one for a penny plus shipping.

Laurel's Kitchen: A Handbook for Vegetarian Cookery and Nutrition: Laurel Robertson, Carol Flinders, Bronwen Godfrey, George M. Briggs: 9780915132256: Amazon.com: Books

revised edition.

The New Laurel's Kitchen: Laurel Robertson, Carol L. Flinders, Brian Ruppenthal: 9780898151664: Amazon.com: Books

Old 06-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildOrchid310 View Post
It just didn't feel right to me anymore. I figure when you feel guilty about something it's time to quit doing it. :) It's been a gradual progression. I quit eating pork in high school, and red meat my freshman year, poultry last year and seafood this year. But I don't hold anything against omnivores. To each their own!
It's fine. I was thinking if you thought it was unhealthy, you might want to reconsider, since it's not. You just need to learn more ways of getting protein into your diet.

Anyway, you've gotten a lot of good advice. I was also thinking the same as Aunt Bea - having several of what might be considered side dishes is an interesting way to eat a lot of vegetables, especially with summer here now.

I recently made stuffed zucchini, grilled potatoes with mustard aioli and a marinated cucumber salad. For me, these were sides, but they would make a nice vegetarian dinner.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #13
Head Chef

I guess you've tried roasting veg? For example, quartered onions, along with chunks of courgettes, aubergines, peppers, tomatoes (all drizzled with oil)? Would make a great ratatouille! Just add beans.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:10 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I assume you checked the Vegetarian and Ethnic Forums?

Vegetarian/Vegan - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #15
Executive Chef

Pesto. The kind found in the refrigerated section at your store is better than the jarred stuff on the grocer's shelf. Stir a spoonful into stir fried veggies just before serving. I like it with veggies/ pasta dishes. Whether you include the pasta is up to you. Good served hot or cold.

Tabbouleh. A terrific summer salad. Lots of herbs for flavor. You can make in smaller size servings, so it's always fresh. Besides bulgur, you can use quinoa, couscous or cooked lentils for the base.

Tex/Mex/Southwest flavors are conducive to vegetarian dishes. Beyond bean burritos and tacos, you can make Stuffed zucchini. Cut in half, remove most of the innards. Mix the innards with spiced beans, garlic onion, and more... there's recipes on the net if you omit the meat. This probably isn't the season, but vegetarian chili is as good as any chili.

One of my favorite websites for ideas is Vegetarian Times - Great Food, Good Health, Smart Living
Old 06-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I just eat veggies and leave out the meat protein. Love grains, love legumes, love adding cheese or tofu. It sounds as if you are still stuck on "meat" and can't get your head around how to get meat out of your diet and still have the flavor you want. Spices are your best friend.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:39 PM   #17
Head Chef

IF your adding tofu to a stir fry, What tastes best is tofu that is fried in oil first, so it has a crispiness and chewiness to it. That being said, it is also the least healthy. IF not going to pre fry it, then at the very least use a Firm or Extra firm tofu, as it will hold up better during the stir fry process, and add it towards the end, or else the continuous stirring will cause it to break up, resembling scrambled eggs.

Ive been a vegetarian over 25 years,feel free to IM me if you have any questions .
Old 06-29-2015, 08:23 PM   #18
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

I agree that deep fried tofu is wonderful... but the fat hit is noticeable. I often brown sliced tofu in a small amount of butter before adding it to a stirfry. be sure to use a non-stick pan... It's different than deep fried but tastes really nice and reduces the fat a lot.

My go to stir fry sauce is made from garlic black bean sauce, some spicy red pepper sauce, fresh ginger, a little cornstarch, a little vinegar and a lot of fresh chopped garlic. At the very end I toss in some sesame oil and a handful of chopped cilantro or basil.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:12 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Larry_Stewart has been a vegetarian for years. His recipes are TNT and offer a lot of variety other than stir-fried.

Tags
health, healthy, other