Diabetic and regular cooking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roweenaa

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone from a newbie to this site. I may be posting in the wrong place. If so please forgive me.
I am really stuck here. I have been cooking for my husband who is type 2, and also has to drop pounds. Here's the twist. I am the one who has lost 40 pounds that I couldn't afford to drop. I've gone from a size 10 to a zero eating what he is. Not good, to say the least.
How can I cook meals that will be healthy not only for HIM, but also for me without having to cook two different meals and deny him all the good stuff he likes and wants. I've got to put some meat back on these bones.
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Welcome to DC, sounds like you need to add the carbs and fats back into your servings. Go back to eating some sugar for yourself, your body needs it.

Welcome to DC! Maybe add some snacks and milkshakes, handfuls of nuts and granola, energy bars, cheese, chocolate, all between meals, for you. Keep serving hubby his 3 squares.

Last edited:
Hi Roweenaa and welcome to DC! A few years ago, my mom dropped 30+ lb while she was on daily IV antibiotics. She also suffered lack of appetite. She ended up gaining almost all of the weight back (she couldn't afford to lose the weight either) by adding a serving of Ensure to her diet every day. Not the tastiest stuff (IMO), but she found she liked the vanilla. The suggestions to add snacks sounds like a good idea!

I am wondering if you like the food that you are feeding your husband (a loss in weight means to me that you would choose not to eat rather than eat the food)? How much has your husband lost?

My husband is also Type 2. Sometimes I think that his greatest wish is that I had it too. I try to make his food tasty so that I can enjoy it too. Not easy.

My husband went from diabetic to pre-diabetic to not diabetic at all. I tended to be a healthy cook anyway, and he does not have a sweet tooth, so it just took measuring his carbs to do it. Oh, that, and exercising more consistently. Walks when the weather is ok, an exercise bicycle inside when it is (like yesterday morning) -7 degrees out. I, too, lost a lot of weight in the past 18 months, because of stress and such, but I was overweight to begin with. BUT -- and here's a big one -- some (most that I know) husbands view any kind of change in their diet as punishment from their wives and sabotage it. My husband was more afraid of diabetes than he is of me. Has your husband been to a dietician? If not, make him an appointment. Fo us what worked was me NOT going with him. Put him in charge of his own well being. Remind yourself, and him, that you're his wife, not his mother. He brought home paperwork and I read it all, went to the cupboard, and took out measuring cups and that's what he now uses to dish out his servings. Now his doctor says that if he didn't diagnose himself, he wouldn't believe the change in his blood sugar.

My husband went from diabetic to pre-diabetic to not diabetic at all. I tended to be a healthy cook anyway, and he does not have a sweet tooth, so it just took measuring his carbs to do it. Oh, that, and exercising more consistently. Walks when the weather is ok, an exercise bicycle inside when it is (like yesterday morning) -7 degrees out. I, too, lost a lot of weight in the past 18 months, because of stress and such, but I was overweight to begin with. BUT -- and here's a big one -- some (most that I know) husbands view any kind of change in their diet as punishment from their wives and sabotage it. My husband was more afraid of diabetes than he is of me. Has your husband been to a dietician? If not, make him an appointment. Fo us what worked was me NOT going with him. Put him in charge of his own well being. Remind yourself, and him, that you're his wife, not his mother. He brought home paperwork and I read it all, went to the cupboard, and took out measuring cups and that's what he now uses to dish out his servings. Now his doctor says that if he didn't diagnose himself, he wouldn't believe the change in his blood sugar.

I wish I could get Shrek to take ownership, but he says he's fine since his blood sugars have been good. I can't believe what he eats in a day. I'm struggling with mine, eating right. Arrrgh!

Back
Top Bottom