"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Health, Nutrition and Special Diets > Diabetic Cooking

Old 01-22-2014, 09:06 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Substituting stevia for sugar in baked goods

I'm sensitive to sugar and want to try replacing it with powdered stevia in my baking recipes. I have the Whole Foods 365 brand which is just plain powdered stevia with nothing added. I read on a website that 1 cup of sugar is equivalent to 1 tsp of powdered stevia. Has anyone tried this substitution? Is there another ratio that has worked well?

Old 05-13-2014, 01:50 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

Stevia will still leave you craving calories like any artificial sweetener. Stevia doesn't make syrups so it won't act like a sugar in recipes. Corn syrup, honey, maple is out of the question?

Old 05-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakz View Post
Stevia will still leave you craving calories like any artificial sweetener. Stevia doesn't make syrups so it won't act like a sugar in recipes. Corn syrup, honey, maple is out of the question?
Refined sugar has the same effect as artificial.

Stevia does come in liquid form; I've seen it but have never tried it.

Interesting tidbit: At least 80% of the packaged food-like stuff sold in grocery stores has sugar added to it in at least one form (and often times more than one!).

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #4
Sous Chef

Quote:

Raw honey would also work.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Stevia will still leave you craving calories like any artificial sweetener.

Thankfully stevia doesn't have that effect on me. I find it very satisfying, and it doesn't stimulate any cravings.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:19 PM   #6
Head Chef

I won't use artificial sweeteners. Not only because they have an awful after-taste to me but there may be some health concerns about long term use.

But if want to bake desserts without sugar here are some recipes: I haven't tried any of them because I do use white sugar.

Sugar-Free Dessert Recipes - Allrecipes.com

But your decision to use Stevia is your prerogative and I hope others can help you with that.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cave76 View Post
I won't use artificial sweeteners. Not only because they have an awful after-taste to me but there may be some health concerns about long term use.

But if want to bake desserts without sugar here are some recipes: I haven't tried any of them because I do use white sugar.

Sugar-Free Dessert Recipes - Allrecipes.com

But your decision to use Stevia is your prerogative and I hope others can help you with that.

Thanks for the resource. Stevia is very different from manmade artificial sweeteners. It is an herb an has numerous health benefits. There are many articles online about it.
Old 05-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchengoddess8 View Post
Thanks for the resource. Stevia is very different from manmade artificial sweeteners. It is an herb an has numerous health benefits. There are many articles online about it.
I understand what Stevia is made from. I've tried it and it still has an awful aftertaste to me. I've read articles online about Stevia and depending on who or what agency was writing about it there's a lot of confusion.

Herbs are not always safe.

As I said---- please use what you deem safe.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Executive Chef

What the heck are we all going to do when they convince us that breathing air is a serious health risk? Just saying.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:50 PM   #10
Head Chef

Beijing, China. Just sayin'.

Tags
sugar