French food prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'll give you some examples of French prices. As our prices are in euros / kg, i make a quick conversion for dollars / lbs. All of our prices are taxes inclusive

as we are in summer time let start with few prices.
Salads about 0.9 € so about 1.2 $
vegetables ( tomatoes, peppers, courgette and so on): from 1.5 to 3 €/ kg so from 1 to 2 $ / lbs.
French baguette bread about 1€...> 1.3 $.
Beef Lamb meets: about 20€/kg for the selected extra, 12€ for cheap cuts. So about 13$ for rear and 8$ for front pieces.
a Coca cola bottle ( 1.5 litter) costs about 2€ ans a Mac Donald cheese burger costs about 2€
Here you are. Averages for the UK (already converted to Euros and metric measures).

Just idle curiosity - why did you want to know?

people often seem overwhelmed when they see how pricey my food is.
1.)i often buy high-end items, although at other times i buy cheaper food. they balance in cost.
2.)amount of sales per item contribute.
3.)we have a higher tax % than other areas.
4.)we have higher-end grocers in many places
5.)& groceries sell alcohol. not until recently, though quite a few PA grocers have caught on & begun to sell alcohol

1) Since that is your choice "other people" shouldn't complain. Unless you're asking for them to chip in anytime you invite them over to eat? ;) :LOL:
3) Um, no. There are a lot of states with higher sales tax rates. The United States of sales tax, in one map - The Washington Post
Or does PA charge a percentage of sales tax on any and all food purchases - I know Virginia levies a 1% tax on any food item not taxed at an even higher rate.
4) I'm sure you do. But you also have higher-priced grocers by chain. Giant Eagle, for one, is terribly overpriced for the area our kids live in, and neither of them are shopping a Marketdistrict store. I understand those are wonderful though.
5) Yeah, I got nuthin'.

Back
Top Bottom