French food prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The cattle here in the 'Bearn' region are called 'Blonde Aquitaine' Addie and they are big beautiful pale-corn beasts. Hence the ' Blonde' ( french spelling ) Used for beef mostly with the male calves for veal. They have a good life here with lots of big open fields to munch in and are well looked after.
There is a difference in the climate and culture here in South West France, which is very rural, lush, temperate, near to the Pyrenees mountains and the atlantic coast and the South of france[/COLOR], further East, which is known for it's mediterranean coast, rich playboys ( and girls ) beautiful and very busy apart from it's other attractive features. So many regions here, all different and unique rather like USA I imagine so I have to take issue with our new friend and say 'Don't think in stereotypes Monsieur , Merci.;)

That's them. When I had the 4-H kids and working at the fair, there was a farmer that had two of them. They were prize winners both of them. The farmer used to give hand milking demonstrations with them. They were beautiful. Always had a crowd around them in the barn. The sad thing was though all animals brought on the fair grounds had to be hornless. I happen to be one who think horns add a beauty to animals. :angel:

Thanks for your replies. i know that United states are huge and there are as many cultural differences between either from East and West or North and South as in Europe.
Food culture from Florida should be very different from theses of South Dakota or Alaska as Sweden food practice is different from South Italy.

An another question for Addie.
I read the link you have sent and something puzzles me. I haven't seen any publicities for spirits ( wine whisky and so on). Are these products sold in groceries store ?

Thanks for your replies. i know that United states are huge and there are as many cultural differences between either from East and West or North and South as in Europe.
Food culture from Florida should be very different from theses of South Dakota or Alaska as Sweden food practice is different from South Italy.

An another question for Addie.
I read the link you have sent and something puzzles me. I haven't seen any publicities for spirits ( wine whisky and so on). Are these products sold in groceries store ?

It all depends on the laws in different states. In Massachusetts you have to have a special license to sell in a grocery store. Come a certain time, they have to be able to close the area off to stop sales. The same laws apply to the store as a liquor store. Certain times they can sell it and then the have to close all liquor sales. Some restaurants sell only wine and beer. And in some states they have State Liquor stores. And in Kentucky, they have counties that are dry. You can't buy any liquor in that county at all. You have to go to the next county. I do not drink, so I am not aware of the laws in a lot of states.

I think someone who has done more traveling than me would be better able to answer this question. :angel:

In NOLA (New Orleans, Louisiana) they have Drive-Thru places that sell alcoholic beverages. However, the driver can't drink. NOLA is referred to as The Big Easy and the French Quarter is a big party town. Most Convenience Stores sell liquor. The state of Louisiana is divided into parishes, while many other states are divided into counties.

Laws for spirits are controlled by states, and sometimes counties or cities within states.

There is no "typical" price for wine. It all depends on the quality of the wine, just like in your country. An inexpensive table wine can run $2 to $10. Nice wine for special occasions can be $15 to $200, or even more. Whatever you want to spend.

In Virginia, beer and wine are sold in grocery stores, drug stores (pharmacies), and convenience stores. Liquor is only available at the state ABC (Alcoholic Beverage Control) stores.

There are some weird laws in some states regarding beer, wine and liquor, related to conservative religious beliefs. They were called the Blue Laws. There's some interesting history about it here: Blue Laws legal definition of Blue Laws

Massachusetts has blue laws. Stores being open on Sundays is a change that has happened in my lifetime. There is still a 3 month waiting period for a divorce to be final because of the Catholic church.

In North Dakota, you can only buy liquor at a liquor store. In Iowa, you can buy it almost anywhere, gas stations, drug stores, grocers. In Ontario, at least where we'd go, you buy liquor at the LCB store, and beer at a separate beer store. Same thing in Pennsylvania, at least where we've been.

Last edited:
In California you can buy wine, beer and liquor in many grocery stores, in addition to liquor stores. Some restaurants are licensed to sell only beer and wine, while others have a full license for all liquor. Liquor licenses in California are very expensive with the cost sometimes up to $400,000.

Last edited:
...In Ontario, at least where we'd go, you buy liquor at the LCB store, and beer at a separate beer store. Same thing in Pennsylvania, at least where we've been.
When we owned the folks' home in Ohio, and I would drive there from Massachusetts, I drove through Pennsylvania. This was back in the time before they sold Yuengling beer in MA. I thought (incorrectly) that Himself liked Yuengling, so while driving through Bloomsburg (a college town) I figured I'd get a 6-pack. Stopped at the police department because they would know everywhere beer was sold! Seems like at that time (about 2004-ish) if you wanted a six-pack, the only place you could buy that was at a bar! If I shopped at a beverage depot, I couldn't buy anything less than 24 bottles. Not wanting to walk into the nearest tavern, we had a full 24-count case in the house. All this time I figured the reason Himself's relatives all had 24-count cases of beer, etc meant they were alcoholics. :huh:

people often seem overwhelmed when they see how pricey my food is.
1.)i often buy high-end items, although at other times i buy cheaper food. they balance in cost.
2.)amount of sales per item contribute.
3.)we have a higher tax % than other areas.
4.)we have higher-end grocers in many places
5.)& groceries sell alcohol. not until recently, though quite a few PA grocers have caught on & begun to sell alcohol

people often seem overwhelmed when they see how pricey my food is.
1.)i often buy high-end items, although at other times i buy cheaper food. they balance in cost.
2.)amount of sales per item contribute.
3.)we have a higher tax % than other areas.
4.)we have higher-end grocers in many places
5.)& groceries sell alcohol. not until recently, though quite a few PA grocers have caught on & begun to sell alcohol

Aren't most grocery items tax free where you live?

When we owned the folks' home in Ohio, and I would drive there from Massachusetts, I drove through Pennsylvania. This was back in the time before they sold Yuengling beer in MA. I thought (incorrectly) that Himself liked Yuengling, so while driving through Bloomsburg (a college town) I figured I'd get a 6-pack. Stopped at the police department because they would know everywhere beer was sold! Seems like at that time (about 2004-ish) if you wanted a six-pack, the only place you could buy that was at a bar! If I shopped at a beverage depot, I couldn't buy anything less than 24 bottles. Not wanting to walk into the nearest tavern, we had a full 24-count case in the house. All this time I figured the reason Himself's relatives all had 24-count cases of beer, etc meant they were alcoholics. :huh:

It's still that way. DH and I sometimes stop overnight in Breezewood, PA, when we drive to Michigan. We've learned to bring our own wine and beer so we can have a drink in the room.

There are some states and cities that tax everything. Even food, clothing, and anything that comes to mind. I think here in Taxachusetts (as we lovingly call it) we are better off them most states. Of course it does gall us that our neighbor NH has no sales or income tax. But all of the income for that state comes from real estate taxes. I can only imagine what the taxes are for the owner of rental property. When my nephew told me what he pays each year on his little piece of land and small house, I was floored. I will gladly pay a sales tax any day. :angel:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom