"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cooking Resources

Old 04-24-2013, 08:32 PM   #21
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Make sure you take a list...so you can ignore it. You'd think ordering by mail would make it easier to keep the amount spent down...nope!!!

Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #22
Executive Chef

thanks a LOT guys!! you, and this provocative penzey's thread just now made me spend $30+ for their spices online. y'all full well know how highly suggestible i am, too....

Old 04-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
thanks a LOT guys!! you, and this provocative penzey's thread just now made me spend $30+ for their spices online. y'all full well know how highly suggestible i am, too....
I blame Andy
Old 04-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #24
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
You don't even want to know how much Andy and Company got me to spend on my first Penzey's outing. I had to remodel my pantry...
Old 04-24-2013, 09:32 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Love Penzey's too! I usually order online, and then I discovered Baby Bro lives near one so it's a mustgo when we visit. We sent them a Penzey's gift package as part of a wedding present over a decade ago, and they loved it.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:31 PM   #26
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Another vote for Penzey's!

Most of my spice cabinet is from there.

Favorites are.. cinnamon (penzey's blend), cocoa powder (I buy it a pound at a time), taco seasoning, sandwich sprinkle (awesome on veggies), 4s season salt, chili seasoning, pacific fine sea salt (fine grind, sticks well to popcorn), I have many of their blends that I use every day, along with various herbs and spices. I'll often put off buying something until I can get to Penzy's!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #27
Master Chef

I'm not sure we're headed to Penzeys tomorrow. After all the comments that point out how totally irresistible their products are Himself is thinking this may be a bad idea. I had started going through their catalog to check off and circle the things I want to either check out or buy, got only as far as "celery seed" (use it in my Mom-in-law's spaghetti sauce recipe) and already it looks like I'll be cooking at home for the next month just to save money and justify my purchases.

And we WILL go tomorrow...or I'm going on strike and Himself can make his own meals. It could get ugly.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:02 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
I'm not sure we're headed to Penzeys tomorrow. After all the comments that point out how totally irresistible their products are Himself is thinking this may be a bad idea. I had started going through their catalog to check off and circle the things I want to either check out or buy, got only as far as "celery seed" (use it in my Mom-in-law's spaghetti sauce recipe) and already it looks like I'll be cooking at home for the next month just to save money and justify my purchases.

And we WILL go tomorrow...or I'm going on strike and Himself can make his own meals. It could get ugly.

i'm confident that you will prevail in the penzey's battle against himself, cg! btw, did i miss the post where you explained how it occurred that you first began referring to your honey in the third person?

celery seed in spaghetti sauce? is there a story that goes along with that too?
Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
i'm confident that you will prevail in the penzey's battle against himself, cg! btw, did i miss the post where you explained how it occurred that you first began referring to your honey in the third person?

celery seed in spaghetti sauce? is there a story that goes along with that too?
Never explained it. Basically, so many refer to their spouse as "DH" or "DW" I just wanted to be different. Plus, our favorite Irish pub, run by husband and wife immigrants, started it. The proprietor has a nametag that reads "Himself" rather than "Brendan" (his name). His wife Claire is, of course, "Herself". And their most trusted right-hand man and manager is tagged "Yeoman". Thought it was cute and have stolen the idea.

The spaghetti sauce is one of two things his Mom taught me "the way he likes them" so that I had a shortcut to Himself's favorites - and his heart. I've tweaked the recipe over the years to make it a bit healthier, but nothing that has affected the quality or taste. Both celery seed and celery salt are in there in small doses but I'm not messing with those - the sauce is great!
Old 04-25-2013, 02:28 AM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Never explained it. Basically, so many refer to their spouse as "DH" or "DW" I just wanted to be different. Plus, our favorite Irish pub, run by husband and wife immigrants, started it. The proprietor has a nametag that reads "Himself" rather than "Brendan" (his name). His wife Claire is, of course, "Herself". And their most trusted right-hand man and manager is tagged "Yeoman". Thought it was cute and have stolen the idea.

The spaghetti sauce is one of two things his Mom taught me "the way he likes them" so that I had a shortcut to Himself's favorites - and his heart. I've tweaked the recipe over the years to make it a bit healthier, but nothing that has affected the quality or taste. Both celery seed and celery salt are in there in small doses but I'm not messing with those - the sauce is great!
care to, dare to share, cg?

Tags
spices