"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning

Old 08-04-2013, 11:04 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
Yes - that's what I had in mind. The egg/lemon sauce sounds great but I have some concern about spoilage. It looks like it all gets fully cooked - but it will have to be served outside in 100 degree weather and may sit there for an hour or more. Thoughts about this?
Walmart has these nifty containers with freezer inserts so that you can take cold foods to picnics, etc. Otherwise, you could set the dip up on an ice pack (I get mine from my vet--vaccines are packaged in ice packs when they are shipped).

Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Cook something on the grill, keep the heat outside. (Make sure you have shade to stand in while cooking.) Maybe something like satay or shish-ka-bobs. Prepare the skewers in advance, keep them refrigerated until it's time to cook them. Depending on quantity you might set the oven on warm and not heat up the inside of the trailer too much.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
Everymom

Janet, I LOVE your menu! I'm drooling just thinking about it. Will you post pix if you think of it?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:07 PM   #34
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMunchies View Post
Stuffed Grape Leaves bought from stores can sometimes taste bland. I hope yours will have some extra zing, perhaps include some roasted garlic puree inside? Or tiny little flecks of anchovies? Or some strips of roasted capsicum?

I agree about store bought and bland and it's the reason I make them from scratch - that and cost ;)

Mine typical recipe includes toasted chopped pine nuts or almonds, a little red pepper, cracked black pepper, onion, dill, mint, fresh garlic, tinyu pinch of cinnamon, some minced caper along with the rice and lemon, etc. There's a local winery that sells brined organic leaves and they are much fresher tasting than the jarred variety. I also add some chopped tomatoes to the cooking liquid for a little more punch. All in all, it works out pretty well.

Quote:
As for the egg-lemon sauce, I am not convinced that the eggs are fully cooked, because if you look at the recipe, it keeps on emphasizing "low heat" and "take it off the heat". The sauce certainly should not simmer, otherwise you'd have scrambled eggs! Hmm...perhaps substitute an Agrumato Lemon Oil (olives and lemons pressed together) with a few flakes of sea salt added, instead of the egg-lemon sauce?

Agree here.... I'm just not really sure about the eggs; it makes me nervous and so I'm going to use an oil, lemon dressing.

If you're all coming along to the bash, maybe one of you can come a day early to help roll and skewer?
Old 08-04-2013, 03:11 PM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
I agree about store bought and bland and it's the reason I make them from scratch - that and cost ;)

Mine typical recipe includes toasted chopped pine nuts or almonds, a little red pepper, cracked black pepper, onion, dill, mint, fresh garlic, tinyu pinch of cinnamon, some minced caper along with the rice and lemon, etc. There's a local winery that sells brined organic leaves and they are much fresher tasting than the jarred variety. I also add some chopped tomatoes to the cooking liquid for a little more punch. All in all, it works out pretty well.

Agree here.... I'm just not really sure about the eggs; it makes me nervous and so I'm going to use an oil, lemon dressing.

If you're all coming along to the bash, maybe one of you can come a day early to help roll and skewer?
Have you asked if anyone has a nut allergy? I'm allergic to pine nuts and never thought about them being in stuffed grape leaves. I put some currants in mine when I'm mixing up the filling.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #36
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Once I hit Spokane which way do I point Archie???
Old 08-04-2013, 03:14 PM   #37

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Have you asked if anyone has a nut allergy? I'm allergic to pine nuts and never thought about them being in stuffed grape leaves. I put some currants in mine when I'm mixing up the filling.
Interesting and valid point. One of my inlaws is Lebanese and this is how she makes them so you might think about asking, but your point is taken. I LOVE the idea of currents and have actually had some Dolmades that had dried apricot
in them - they were awesome.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:15 PM   #38

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Once I hit Spokane which way do I point Archie???
West - another 170 miles :)
Old 08-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Interesting and valid point. One of my inlaws is Lebanese and this is how she makes them so you might think about asking, but your point is taken. I LOVE the idea of currents and have actually had some Dolmades that had dried apricot
in them - they were awesome.
I rarely eat out because of my allergy (I avoid Italian restaurants because pesto with pine nuts is often prepared in the kitchen and I am concerned about cross-contamination). Can't buy nuts in bulk where pine nuts are sold, either. I can credit this to why my cooking includes so many things made in my kitchen. I can't remember the last time I ate dolmades that I didn't make. I'll have to try dried apricot next time I make them.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #40
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
West - another 170 miles :)
When you look at it on a map, it's not that far at all. Very pretty country.